A bargain that lasted only 10-minutes with buy-it-now

ww1czechlegion

Here's a nice helmet that one lucky eBay watcher purchased only 10-minutes after it appeared live on Wednesday, March 9th at 3:00 p.m. Helmet sold at 3:10 p.m. with "buy-it-now".

The seller had a mere $295 starting price with a buy-it-now price of $385 on this Prussian ersatz "kit" helmet. Someone got a very good deal.

Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-NICE-WW1-GERMAN-MEDAL-SPIKE-HELMET-PICKELHAUBE-EXCEPT-STRAP-MARKED-/231872165451?hash=item35fca8764b:g:KTgAAOSwvgdW4Ig5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best Regards,

Alan

Dammit, I hate those American sellers who refuse to sell internationally. Seriously, it's not that hard to fill in a customs form!

According to what I've seen on WA forum, the buyer has been told by the seller that the seller's son made a mistake in the listing, and the seller is apparently refusing to follow through with the sale at this point of time.

Best Regards,

Alan

That is a classic example of the kit helme and well maker marked. It always amazes me that they used a 6 sided nut on the spine instead of the usual square nut and the use of a dome fastener to hold the liner ends together. I guess this eliminates any stitching after the liner was put in. Anyway, these kit helmets are a very slick and well engineered piece of gear. Let me know Alan how this works out between buyer and seller. I think if I was the buyer, I would ask for first shot at it before it is put up for sale again. On the other hand, Ebay may step in and screw the seller like they usually do in any disagreement.

Looks like they got things straightened out on the kit helmet. Here's a quote from Rob on the other forum:

from Rob on WAF forum:
It would appear that it was a genuine mistake by the consignor who wanted to sell an WW2 M1 helmet not the picklehaube which he bought from a gun show for $600 ten years ago . His son took the wrong helmet to the ebay seller and when it was noticed obviously he wanted it back , the guy is in his 80's and without a computer. Anyway I said to the seller I would give the old guy $650 for it which he accepted.

Best Regards,

Alan

Back