A Chas at Wilmington.

I received an OVMS Show report from Chas today and I thought some of what he said about it may be of interest.

Take it away, Chas:

Hi Mike:

The OVMS Wilmington Show was as expected; roughly one
quarter the size of the Show of Shows with several
empty tables and sparse attendance (mainly old
geezers). There was a fair amount of Imperial German
goods, and most of it was sensibly priced. I saw a
total of five helmets, but none were of lasting
interest to me. These consisted of a Line Infantry
Preußen M15, Baden Infantry M15, Preußen Artillery M95
(marked FAR 56), and a Preußen Kürassier M15 (with a
static chromed spike!). The fifth was a Baden Dragoon
Reserve Offizier's helmet that was a total write-off.
The silver Griffin had a blank bandau, but the
reservist cross was missing, the chinscales were
fragments, and the top of the Haarbusch (yes, it once
had one) was gone. The whole thing looked as though
it was pulled from a compost heap. Even for parts, I
thought $750.00 was too much for the seller to ask.

I purchased a matched set of unissued 48 mm Preußen
Kokarden for $75.00, but the bonus, which made an even
greater impression, was the wax paper envelope they
were wrapped in. Though not correct for Infantry
Helmkokarden, I believe this envelope was the original
packaging for Kürassier or JzP Offizier Kokarden.

My Mannschaften JzP Kokarden measure precisely 65 mm.
It stands to reason Offizier Kokarden would be
slightly larger to accommodate a silvered ring. The
manufacturer, F. W. Assmann & Söhne of Lüdenscheid
later manufactured Third Reich awards and was assigned
Leistungsgemeinschaft der Deutschen Ordenherrsteller
(LDO) number L/64.

Whether Assmann also manufactured single piece
Kokarden of all dimensions and color schemes may be
impossible to determine. Perhaps they only
manufactured the silver rings and performed final
assembly of three piece Kokarden. The attached
picture is of the envelope with 65 mm Kokarden
providing scale.

Assmann.jpg

At least Chas has shows to go to. We have one a year, perhaps 20 tables of old guys selling cap badges and 1950 webbing. Hoorah. I don't even bother going now. The chances of me finding the items I am after, like a Saxon Tschako oilcloth cover, or issued Preußen Kürassier Kuraß in the pile of $5 cap badges is slim.....

What is the OMVS ? sorry
Mark
Cheer up tony .You ever go to the Ottawa Shows? I know it's quite the way or even Montreal .

zipperheads9 said:
What is the OMVS ? sorry

OMVS? You mean OVMS! :lol:

OVMS is Ohio Valley Military Society. This is the non-profit group that puts on a number of shows including the annual SOS (Show of Shows) in Lexington, Kentucky every February.

peter_suciu said:
zipperheads9 said:
What is the OMVS ? sorry

OMVS? You mean OVMS! :lol:

OVMS is Ohio Valley Military Society. This is the non-profit group that puts on a number of shows including the annual SOS (Show of Shows) in Lexington, Kentucky every February.

Lexington? you mean Louisville :lol:

The fellows that run the OVMS are a great buch of people, it is unbelieveble how well such a large show is put together.
Gus

Gustaf said:

D'oh! :eek:

And yes, this is by far the best show to hit in North America. Between this and MAX... SOS every time. (Especially since Tom Johnson of the MAX said that "MAX is for high end collectibles and SOS is... well flea market stuff." He means MAX gets Nazi stuff and SOS gets all that other "junk.")

peter_suciu said:
Gustaf said:

D'oh! :eek:

And yes, this is by far the best show to hit in North America. Between this and MAX... SOS every time. (Especially since Tom Johnson of the MAX said that "MAX is for high end collectibles and SOS is... well flea market stuff." He means MAX gets Nazi stuff and SOS gets all that other "junk.")

I agree with you Peter, SOS is unbelieveble, you can find nearly anything, and even if you can not fine the thing you are looking for, there is alway a hundred other things to blow the money on, before you go home. I am bad about rushing by the tables with the stuff with the funny spiders on them, and I am sure I have missed a few good buys of the flea market junk hidden amoung the high end stuff. It took me three days just to get through the SOS the first time last Feb, and I did not make it half way through the National Gun Day show next door before I had to give up. Every one there is very helpfull, Jon K. help me get rid of a lot of heavy cash so I would not have to carry it home, but poor Joe did not even buy a cupcake, we need to help him next year, so every one keep their eyes open for 137 stuff.
Gus

Let me jump on the SOS over the MAX bandwagon. The MAX does indeed concentrate on Nazi stuff, and much of that is fake. I had a miserable experience at the MAX in Charlotte.

The SOS however was astounding. Great items. Plenty of high end items, "flea market stuff, and everything in-between. Well worth a day's drive or a flight. Besides, at the SOS you get to meet a lot of interesting people wearing pickelhaube t-shirts. Right, Gus?

There is really no comparison between the two.

David

I have A picture of Gus changing out of his cowboy gear into his Pickelhaube t-shirt, if any of the women want to see it!!

I would post it here, but I just ate....

James

at the SOS you get to meet a lot of interesting people
David

You are right David, I can not make a comparison between Max and SOS, all I can say is that SOS is really a great meeting. I had the chance to help with set up the day before, and that gave me a chance to meet some of the people that make the show work, these events do not happen by them selves, and it is amazing that everything works so well, it says a lot for the people behind the scene. I do not think I saw a normal person the entire time I was there.
Best wishes
Gus[/quote]

James LeBrasseur said:
I have A picture of Gus changing out of his cowboy gear into his Pickelhaube t-shirt, if any of the women want to see it!!

I would post it here, but I just ate....

James
Hey Slim,
I think every one has seen that terrible image, because of that photo, I have been unable to enlist in the Marines. It seems that there is some rule against having a tatto of Pooh Bear, but they allow Kermit the frog, so go figure.
Gus

Back