A decent December 1915 m1903

ebeeby

It sure has a "been there" look. Thinning but handsome quench finish. 1917 Stock.
Stock sanded but faint boxed JEC cartouche remains. Stone-mint 1918 dated sling (NOT a repro)

photo1-5.jpg

photo2-3.jpg

photo3-3.jpg

photo2-1-1.jpg

photo3-1-1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

photo1-3.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

photo2-3-1.jpg

Nice rifle, pre WW1 '03s are hard to find. A small point, but I believe the stock is not original to the rifle as at this date there should be only one recoil bolt in the stock. Many pre war rifles were updated and rebuilt during the war.
Steve

RON said:
One nice salty rifle!

Congrats Eric! :thumb up:

Hey, it's not *that* salty! :)

"A small point, but I believe the stock is not original to the rifle as at this date there should be only one recoil bolt in the stock. Many pre war rifles were updated and rebuilt during the war."

Yes, it's a 1917 stock. It has a faint boxed JEC cartouche (he inspected through 1918). The barrel is dated 12-15 but the receiver is actually a February 1916 build. Not unusual. One thing I'm researching is whether this was an "NRA Sales" rifle. They had "NRA" stamped ahead of the floor plate on the trigger guard - this one does not. Not to say it didn't once have that, just not now.

I have always been partial to the '03. They were well made, accurate with those wonderful walnut stocks

Back