A Dutch Mitra / Mitre

Schiavona13

Hoi Guys ,

This year christmas came in spring and an empty wallet as well after this baby came to me

Its a Mitra or Mitre front plate of a grenadier of the Dutch States Army

Only a handfull of the frontplates have survived and nearly all are in museums ( I know of one more in a privat collection )

gMitra-klein.jp

Very nice and interesting piece, I never even knew these were still available..
Congratulations! :bravo:

Thank you all

By the way this dates from around 1760

coert65 said:
I never even knew these were still available..

I had the same idea but than this one popt up and I couldn't believe my eyes

Congrats on such a rare piece! I have never seen one of these before. Translation of the motto??

The motto top one is Honi soit qui mal y pense - Shame on him who thinks evil of it ( Order of the Garter of Great Britain )
lower one is Je maintiendrai - I will maintain

Some more info about the order of the garter is to be read here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Garter
Have a nice Christmas evening all! :thumb up:

Correct William of Orange is the connection , From the time of William of Orange till the French invasion this motto was in the Dutch coat of arms , After 1814 it was gone and just Je Maintiendrai was left .

Yes William of Orange...conqueror of Ireland. There is even a Canadian connection as the Protestant Irish immigrants brought their anti Catholic beliefs with them and established "Orange Lodges" here. There is an Orange Lodge here in my city which has been converted to commercial use. The Orangemen used to stage marches celebrating the Irish defeat. There is even a town an hour away from me called Orangeville. I guess I know too much Historical trivia ! :?

You donnt know to much , this only shows us how much history a piece in our collection can bring with it .
If this piece could only talk about what it had seen

Back