4942129810_2d7cf6c842_b.jpg

"Deutsche Patrouille an der gambischen(?) Grenze in Tropenuniform"

Reverse:

4942128448_0bae5302bc_b.jpg

Landsturm Brückenwache.

Landst. Brückenwache by drakegoodman, on Flickr

Badewagen (in Russia).

Badewagen (Bath wagon) by drakegoodman, on Flickr

Outdoors portrait of a young Saxon infantryman hailing from Kgl. Sächsisches Ersatz-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 24.

Outdoors portrait of a young Saxon infantryman hailing from Kgl. Sächsisches Ersatz-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 24 by drakegoodman, on Flickr

Garde-Kürassier-Regiment.

Garde-Kürassier-Regiment by drakegoodman, on Flickr

Nice pictures. I thought the first card might read "..an der griechischen Grenze", i.e. the Greek border. Regrettably I could not read the unit on the stamp or the writers address.

Cheers Robert, it's highly unlikely it's the Gambian border, considering German Togoland was occupied almost at the outset by the British and this photo was taken circa mid-1916.

Your "griechischen Grenze" makes a lot more sense than my "gambischen Grenze".

My eyes are probably deceiving me , are those Lansturmers wearing czapkas? Kinda reminds me of the company picnic! :)

I just had another look at the soldier's address of the first card. I think his unit is

..Pionier-Komp. 20?, 107. Inf Div...

Maybe it is possible to locate the division at that date.

Robert said:
Maybe it is possible to locate the division at that date.

Giddyup! Just prior to 1916 they were on the Macedonian front (bordering Greece). Cheers Robert - I'll run with this I think.

- Brett

Yes, Macedonia from the uniforms too- they're not Schutztruppe style, more likely M1910 lightwieght ones, still in field grey. Note also the guy up the tree with an EK1. You won't find many of them in Africa!

Interesting to see the mosquito nets too. I had heard they were issued in Macedonia but never seen them in a photo with the Tropenhelm before.

Cheers
Chris

Back