A great DEAL off ebay! Due to seller's bad english!!!

MadMax13

I think $353.00 including the shipping! It was a steal... in my opinion anyway.
He was from Chec Republic and totally misspelled a lot of words... ex. Picelhuaben.... that was a first. He never once used the word helmet.
Any way I'll post some pics. Let me know what you guys think, I'm pretty new to all of this, so any info on this helmet would be great. Thanx so much!

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

Jeez guys! Is it that bad? Come on I understand by know means it is perfect, but being on a tight budget, I find it hard to get anything decent for under $400 these days. Its all complete, with the liner, and with the shipping I thought that price was pretty good.

Well MAX.. there certainly is more that $300 worth of fittings there but the helmet has a mixture of parts on it which means that it has been put together. You are just going to have to wait and see what goes when you receive it, for eg, an original set of chin scales sells for $250, officer kokarde $75 so you have not lost money. The spike is an older type which is good, the officer stars do not belong on the helmet but hey if they are originals then that is another bonus. So, you have purchased a helmet that has been put together but if the parts are originals then you have not lost any money...probably made some. BTW, dont beat yourself up over this we have all made such purchases! Brian

No, Its already in my possession. I took those pictures. Well everything you have said has been helpful and good news! Thank you so much sir!

Jeeze Max enough of the "sir" makes me feel old! We are all friends here and fellow addicts. More importantly, are those fittings original? What do you think? Take a pic of the interior of the shell, lets see the liner, please. Any extra holes behind the helmet plate? Usually what happens with this type of thing is that the seller picks up a helmet with some original parts and then completes the helmet with whatever he has at hand. Hopefully in your case what was added on to complete the helmet and pretty it up for sale were original parts. Brian

HAHA! Sorry its a bad habit, I work in an auto shop... everyone is a Sir. :lol:
I'll take some more pics and post'em soon. I knew the helmet was someones project, but... Everything looks to be original hardware except for those stars, pretty sure their just old repros. The seller stated it was an officers helmet, but I saw in his pictures the interior was EM leather head liner not the nice silk.Then I noticed the back spine, the pearl ring, and the wappen crown. No extra holes either. I can't see any stamps or Reg. marks though... The helmet sure does have some weight to it, its thick leather, and heavier than a normal EM. Do you think it might be an NCO?

Hey MAX thanks for the extra pics. Older helmets such as this one are made from heavier gauge leather. It is hard to judge but this is what I see on your helmet. You are missing several scales on your chin scales. The scales alternate 2 scallops and 3 scallops (edges) so you can see where they are missing. The scales are flat which indicates infantry. The small nut on the end of the rear spine is 6 sided and should be four like the one further up the shell holding the spine on. I believe your stars are repros judging from the nuts on the inside. There is a thread here on the forum which shows what original nuts look like.
I would like to see a shot of the rear of the helmet plate. Normally a helmet of this age would have screw posts soldered to the back rather than loops. Check the solder on the loops...shiny silver means "modern". Original solder is a dark grey colour. Check also for flux deposites around the loops as you do not see this on the originals. All for now, Brian

Thanks for the extra pics Max. Looking at the back of the helmet plate, I would say that your right loop has been resoldered at some time..you can se where there is old solder from the previous position and that loop looks too close to the edge of the wing. I have 12 spare Prussian wappen and none of them has the loop that close to the edge. Looking at how the plate sits on the helmet shell...it should suck right up to the shell but does not. Rechecking your other pics.....there should not be any washers either on the visor trim prongs or the chinscales boss prongs. So again not to be a prick here...just letting you know what is out of the ordinary from the originals that I have looked at over the years. Brian

Here is a few pics of my sunken shell top repair... it will never be perfect ,but I think it looks as good as its gonna get.
IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

Back