A Hauptmann in IR 64

Mike H

I just recently added this CDV to my photo and postcard collection. As can be seen on the reverse, it is a Hauptmann v. Collani in the image. Since the studio was in Angermunde, I will assume he was with the III. Batallion there as the rest of the regiment was in Prenzlau. The unit is Infanterie-Regiment General-Feldmarschall Prinz Friedrich Karl von Preussen (8. Brandenburg.) Nr. 64. This is stated on the reverse of the card.

I did an internet search and found there was a Major Erwin von Collani who was awarded the PLM on 7 May 1918 but the site had no further information on him other than the name, rank, and date. Thus, I am not sure this is him in the picture.

Can someone please translate the complete text on the reverse (I can make out most of it) and also any resources you might have to identify PLM winners by their names as well as the units they served with. I would really like to know. It doesn't seem to be a common name but I could be wrong.

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• 2024-05-24 11.13.56.jpg
    2024-05-24 11.13.56.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 2024-05-24 11.16.15.jpg
    2024-05-24 11.16.15.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Mike,

great portrait and indeed the later OPLM winner Erwin von Collani. Interestingly enough, the then Hauptmann von Collani was a company commander in the I. Bataillon from 1908 to 1913.

Regards
Glenn

View attachment 46180
Glenn, another question or two ...

What Regiment was the Major in at the end of the war and did he survive? I do not know what OPLM means?

I noted the file name for your photo was labeled GIR 7. Was this Grenadier Regiment Nr. 7? Or something else?

Thanks again.

Mike

......................... I do not know what OPLM means?

Thanks again.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I believe that is stands for "Orden Pour le Merite". Or in other words, he was the awardee of the Order of the Pour le Merite or otherwise known as the "Blue Max" in English speaking collector slang.

The various awards received by any given officer are listed beside each of the respective officers listed in the various Rank List books that were published for the various Imperial German States. Each award listed in these Rank List Books is given an abbreviation of the full title of the award.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

I believe that is stands for "Orden Pour le Merite". Or in other words, he was the awardee of the Order of the Pour le Merite or otherwise known as the "Blue Max" in English speaking collector slang.

The various awards received by any given officer are listed beside each of the respective officers listed in the various Rank List books that were published for the various Imperial German States. Each award listed in these Rank List Books is given an abbreviation of the full title of the award.

Best Wishes,

Alan
Alan,

Many thanks. I just was not clear on what the “O” before “PLM” meant. All clear now. Just waiting to see what Regiment he was in during the last months of the war and if he survived.

Mike,

great portrait and indeed the later OPLM winner Erwin von Collani. Interestingly enough, the then Hauptmann von Collani was a company commander in the I. Bataillon from 1908 to 1913.

Regards
Glenn

View attachment 46180
Glenn
Great information.
It is good to see you post
I have been missing you
and I wondered where you were
Thanks
Steve

What Regiment was the Major in at the end of the war and did he survive? I do not know what OPLM means?

I noted the file name for your photo was labeled GIR 7. Was this Grenadier Regiment Nr. 7? Or something else?

Thanks again.

Mike
Mike
If we can pin down the regiment
we can check him in my Rang List
Steve

I have found Collani in several places in the 1914-1918 Ranglist. The letters .a.D. appear after his rank in some listings. What does this mean?

Back