A helmet from 107 L.I.R. Saxon, ex-fireman

CLOVIS 57

Hello,

Apart from the peacetime regulation helmets, I particularly like the "ersatz" helmets of the mobilization, helmets with military spikes, reassembled from the stock of police, administration or firemen helmets.

Thus, I am happy to share my beautiful Saxon firefighter helmet, poured into the Landwehr-Infanterie Regiment n°107 at mobilization.

The regimental marking, shows an assignment to 107 Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment. The date 1885 is a date prior to this assignment. Indeed, these regiments being raised only at mobilization, it is only in July-August 14, that the urgency and the circumstances of imminent war explain such an "ersatz", not regulatory.

At the mobilization, this helmet was distributed to equip a Sturmmann of the 107 LIR. Under the red L helmet cover, then green after the end of August, no difference with the regulation M95 helmet !

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
107 LIR ex Fwr.JPG107  LIR pte spéciale Fwr.JPG107 Pichet LIR M71.JPG107  LIR trace cimier banane.JPG107 LIR coiffe spéciale.JPG107 LIR marque.JPG
The shell is still made of thick leather, from the old models, the point is truncated conical and the base is cruciform but small. The Saxon plate is standard, the Saxon Landwehrkreuz is of the large module. The chinstrap is of the M1871 type, with scales and slotted head screws.

The lining is commercial fabric, and the headband is the Saxon officer's Tchakos type.

Last edited:
Hello Clovis,

I really like these old sturdy helmets, still in good shape after so many years. Thank you for posting.
However I doubt that the helmet was already assigned to LIR 107 in 1885, because then it should have been a normal helmet, and not a fireman's helmet. Rather, I think 1885 is when the helmet was inspected by the fire-department, and when it was issued as a stop-gap helmet to LIR 107 at the start of the war the 1885 was crossed out and the regimental stamp added.

The "Verordnung betreffend die Organisation der Landwehr-Behörden" from 1867 specifies that the Bezirkskommando stores the weapons, clothing and equipment for the Landwehr-Bataillone that would be mobilized in case of war, and also keeps it up to date. The "Reglement über die Bekleidung und Ausrüstung der Truppen im Frieden", from 1868, limits clothing and equipment that is stored for the Landwehr-Bataillone to 400 men, with the active regiments providing the remainder in case of mobilization. This clothing and equipment could also be used in peacetime for Landwehr exercises.

I have not been able to find later regulations, and I expect things might have changed during / after the Franco-Prussian war of 1870/71, however Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon from 1905 still specifies that one of the tasks of the Bezirkskommando is to store clothing and equipment for the Landwehr troops. I expect that quite a lot of Landwehr-stamped helmets exist as probably hundreds were stored at the Bezirkskommandos.

Regards,
Lars

Thanks Lars (and Sandy). I agree. I had deduced what I marked from the same type of printing between the L107 and the 1885 vintage. Indeed these "ersatz" recycling cannot be of peace time, but only result from the urgency of the mobilization, in view of the shortage noted to equip the setting up of the "young regiments", of the "RIR", of the LIR, of the Landsturm-bataillon etc... in August 14.
I will make a correction on my post above.
Sincerely

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Back