A little Spit and Shine

cesper

Hello Everyone. I am new here; however, I have had a long standing curiosity regarding the Pickelhaube Helmet. I have finally started going to Military swaps and looking around on eBay. I have concluded that I am going to seek out a less than "show room" quality helmet and as a result, I am curious if anyone could recommend any ways to restore a little sparkle to an old helmet without degrading the helmet in ANY way. Are there any SAFE ways to clean the brass and metal fittings?!? Is there any way to make the leather shell look a little nicer (i.e. a polish, cleaner or wax). I collect many different old items and have always paid particular attention to preserving my treasures for future collectors. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Cesper:

Welcome! I believe this link will answer most of your questions. The author, Tony Schnurr, is one of our forum's most valued contributors. I am certain he will be happy to answer any questions you put forth.

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/preservation/index.htm

Good luck with your hunt. Be sure to ask for opinions here before you buy something. We are all here to help.

Regards,

Chas.

Thank you all for your feed back. I am going through Tony's web page and am finding it to be quite helpful. Thanks again.

Back