A new home for my collection

Gustaf

Staff member
I have been working on a project in the back yard for the past month. I wanted a better way to store and display my collection, it is based on two 40 shipping containers bolted together with two passages cut between them. The are insulated and walled in and fire or flood are a veru small worry. The security system is being installed and the collection is far safer now than it was in the house.
P1040319.JPG
P1040313.JPG

911car said:
Looks great! Congratulations. Should make a nice office too. Is it heated?

No need to heat it at this point, but the AC works well enough. I am hoping a small electric heater will be enough in the winter.

:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: Well that got to be the most ingenious solution for a large collection I have ever seen. Brilliant.

I took the hard route and built a new house of which my Bunker was an integral part of the design. Your initiative solution might have worked for me. Well done. :thumbright:

Tony without Kaiser said:
:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: Well that got to be the most ingenious solution for a large collection I have ever seen. Brilliant.

I took the hard route and built a new house of which my Bunker was an integral part of the design. Your initiative solution might have worked for me. Well done. :thumbright:

We had discussed making an addition on to the house, but having construction people in the house for a month or more would be an inconvenience. The cost on this was about a fourth what an addition would be and it is not a addition to real property so there is no property tax and did not require any building permits. If I need to move them, I only need to disconnect the passageways (and cover them) and unbolt them from each other and call the company that delivered them and they could be on a trunk in a matter of a few hours. Oh crap, I should not have mentioned that, I suspect Chip will be here in the next few days with a truck.

Hi, Gus--
I was already thinking how this could be easily loaded on a truck. The best part is if you move you have containers ready for the collection.

This looks really good. What is the source of lighting? LED?

Peter_Suciu said:
Hi, Gus--
I was already thinking how this could be easily loaded on a truck. The best part is if you move you have containers ready for the collection.

This looks really good. What is the source of lighting? LED?

Yes Peter, the lighting is LED or lead lights as my father used to say. And the portability may be a problem, I have a friend who wnats to do the same thing and I think he is looking at just getting mine moved to his house so he does not have to line them.

Wow a nice set up. My husband Rod is thinking of that for a bunker which is to be part of the 100 ft shed.

He already has four big sheds to house his guns and tanks, one bunker to house the helmets and uniform and small gears. And a tiny house to house me. Such is life

Amybellars said:
Wow a nice set up. My husband Rod is thinking of that for a bunker which is to be part of the 100 ft shed.

He already has four big sheds to house his guns and tanks, one bunker to house the helmets and uniform and small gears. And a tiny house to house me. Such is life

Tanks !!!!!!!!

Please tell more .

Nice bunker !!

Thats one way to expand the collection you can even ad a 1st floor an if neccissery a 2nd floor 🤣🤣🤣

Jonas

We have been getting the bunker ready for an open house sometime in the month of November, we will host the member's meeting of the Minidoka County Historical Society and the general public sometime after Veteran's Day. The time and date will be announced when we get things ironed out.
DSCN0087.JPG
DSCN0086.JPG
DSCN0085.JPG
DSCN0084.JPG
DSCN0083.JPG

Back