A new home for my collection

Gus!!! I am completely flabbergasted! WOW, WOW, WOW!

What a fantastic collection and what a way to display them! Truly amazing!

John

Thanks all, this has been a project that I had wanted to do for some time, making the collection available to the public while keeping it at home where I can enjoy it too. I have had it displayed at other museums in the past, about half the collection spent 6 months in the Fort Douglas Military Museum in Salt Lake City, Utah, and before that a large part was nearly a year in the local county museum. I also have transported parts of the collection to schools, and public gatherings around the area to share it. All the transporting does have the potential of causing wear and damage to items and now that I have a permanent display, I will cut back on how much of the stuff goes out on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Display is great, it beats the boxes that most of mine is in. I too do talks and transport parts of my collection.

Schiavona13 said:
Do you have climat control and heating in there ?

Humidity is not a big problem here under normal conditions as we seldom get above 50%, but I do have a dehumidifier as well as limited heating in the winter and AC in the summer. During the coldest months, I will have to allow the temperatures to get below what is comfortable while making sure the humidity stays below 50%. The biggest problem with having a lot of people through is the bodies do raise the humidity.

Hi Gus,

This is a really fantastic, amazing display of your world class collection! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing photos of it with us! =D> :bravo:

Best Wishes,

Alan

Gustaf said:
Humidity is not a big problem here under normal conditions as we seldom get above 50%, but I do have a dehumidifier as well as limited heating in the winter and AC in the summer. During the coldest months, I will have to allow the temperatures to get below what is comfortable while making sure the humidity stays below 50%. The biggest problem with having a lot of people through is the bodies do raise the humidity.

Yes thats a big problem and also dirt on the shoes is a issue to think about

Schiavona13 said:
Gustaf said:
dirt on the shoes is a issue to think about

I have astro turf on the landing and in the entrance, That helps remove most of the dirt. The carpet is vacuumed fairly regular, and while dust is a big problem in this area, I have manage to keep it to a minimum in the containers.

Think about a good HEPA air purifier to remove some of the dust. I'm sure you could tuck it away somewhere and that will do a great job of controlling the dust.

Peter_Suciu said:
Think about a good HEPA air purifier to remove some of the dust. I'm sure you could tuck it away somewhere and that will do a great job of controlling the dust.

Even though dust is a big problem in our area, I have not had any problems with dust in the containers. The carpet catches any dirt that comes in and a good vacuum removes it with out putting the dust into the air. The important thing is to minimize air circulation from the outside and keep feet as clean as possible.

Looks great! I spent nine months living in a shipping container in Iraq.... They're okay if properly equipped! :)

:D Ron

I have had to do some rearranging in the containers as they are getting too small, the other option is to get another container. While I was at it, I turned the Union flag over, although it is now mounted backward. Maggie said that she will try to find the time to remove it from the linen backing and resew it correctly.

Attachments

• P1010136.JPG
    P1010136.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 30
  • P1010137.JPG
    P1010137.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 29
  • P1010115.JPG
    P1010115.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 27
  • P1010119.JPG
    P1010119.JPG
  • P1010118.JPG
    P1010118.JPG
  • P1010132.JPG
    P1010132.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 29
  • P1010134.JPG
    P1010134.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 33
  • P1010120.JPG
    P1010120.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 34
  • P1010122.JPG
    P1010122.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 32
  • P1010123.JPG
    P1010123.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 32
Please could you post some pictures of the Mauser C96, I have always wanted one, but the UK firearms laws are not easy with pistols, I have pushed the historic pistols section of the law to the limit and I will have to do a one for one swap for my 1911, and that is never going to happen. I dont like de-activated weapons, but some pictures would be cool.

Back