A new one in my collection : a Bavarian Model 1916 Enlisted Pickelhaube - Hans Römer - 1916- Neu Ulm

meme32

Dear Members

I have been lucky enough to find that Bavarian Model 1916 Pickelhaube.
Altough it is not in mint condition, I really like it.
I am not sure if the chinstrap is an original one ?
The stamp is quite clear, I can read " Hans Römer - 1916- Neu Ulm".
I am not sure it is worth trying to enhance the rear visor which is deformed.

Thanks !

IMG_7816.jpgIMG_7817.jpgIMG_7818.jpgIMG_7819.jpgIMG_7820.jpgIMG_7822.jpgIMG_7823.jpgIMG_7824.jpgIMG_7825.jpgIMG_7826.jpgIMG_7827.jpg

I like the helmet a lot! But one question though, is the spike the usual removable one? Like on most M15's?
To me, it seems not removable, if so, it is a very early M15. Also the liner is the earlier one, as seen on most M95 haubes.
Most M15's have the tan coloured liner. And the removable spike, the bayonet fixing.

Congratulations!, A nice Bavarian M15.
Regards, Coert.

nice looking helmet, looks to me in one of the side views it is bayonet type spike mounting, removable....

James

Thanks for your comment !
Indeed it has a bayonet type ( removable ) spike !
I hesitated a bit before taking it due to the black liner, since as you said most of the M15 have the tan coloured liner.
But it appears it is not so unusual to find M15 with black liner ( I have a Prussian M15 in my modest collection with black liner).

Thomas

A very nice clean example! I would recommend putting it on a head form to keep the rear part of the shell from collapsing inward though. Regarding the liner, it is not uncommon to find a black liner on an M15.

I think that that solution can work out fine. Now, I can also see it has the removable spike, which I missed out on with the previous pictures..
Black liners can indeed be found on M15's, I have several. But I also have later dated ones with undyed liners.

Perfect, the main thing is to keep the shell expanded back close to it's original circumference/size and support it so there is no weight/pressure on the visors. You have solved both problems! :)

Back