A Prussian Officer Mle 1907/10 Feldrock - For your appraisal

meme32

Dear Members of the forum,

A fellow collector is offering me this Officer Feldrock.
I have identified it as being an Prussian Pionier Officer M07/10 Feldrock.
I overall like the cloth, the manufacturing and the wear.
I think also the shoulder boards are original to that tunic.
But; I should confess I am still at the novice stage when it comes to WW1 German militaria.
Please could you share your view on this uniform ?

Many thanks

Kind regards
IMG_7340.jpgIMG_7341.jpgIMG_7342.jpgIMG_7343.jpgIMG_7344.jpgIMG_7345.jpgIMG_7346.jpgIMG_7347.jpgIMG_7348.jpgIMG_7349.jpg

I agree with Kaisersammler, because of the black and red pipings I would also say Foot-Artillery. The crossed cannons or grenades which should be on the shoulder boards seem to be lost.

I believe Foot Artillery did not wear crossed cannons until the 1915 regulations. Also indicating Fuß Artillerie is the Brandenburg cuffs piped in black. This appears to a nice field worn M1907 Feldrock.

Thanks a lot for your replies.
So would you say that the shoulder boards are oginally sewn ?
What is the difference with a Pionier M1907 Feldrock ?
I was thinking that black piped shoulder boards were for Pionier truppen ?

Many thanks

Kind regards

Ok thanks a lot for this information.
So to summarize, this is an untouched field worn M1907 Feldrock for an Oberleutnant der Fuss-Artillerie regiment Nr6.
I will probably take it but the asking price is a bit deterent; how much would you estimae a fair price being for that feldrock ?

Many thanks

Well that is where it gets complicated and you need to do more research. Foot Artillery shoulder boards do not have black underlay. There are others here with more Feldgrau knowledge who can comment.

Thanks Tony, Indeed I was thinking foot Artillery shoulder boards were supposed to have a yellow underlay ?

Normally I don’t comment on Feldgrau, as normally I’m wrong….

In the Dunkelblau time, shoulder straps were white, so officer’s shoulder board underlay was white.

Then on the M1907 Feldrock, the strap piping and underlay was based on Armee-Korps colours. Ancient page here.

Then A.K.O 21 September 1915 announced the release of completely new pattern of tunic called the M1915, and with that came the first of what is now called Waffenfarbe. The colour at that time, became yellow as you noted. Yellow straps, yellow underlay for officers. 20+ year old page here.

So no black underlay. Which honestly, I don’t see as a deal-breaker as the Feldrock itself appears to be a nice example.

Just a small note on the boards it is possible that the crossed cannons were there at one point or perhaps another device, I see 2 holes where it would appear something was pinned to at some point. Maybe some insignia never got put back after being promoted to oberleutnant?

20221223_170311.jpg

I agree with Kaisersammler, because of the black and red pipings I would also say Foot-Artillery. The crossed cannons or grenades which should be on the shoulder boards seem to be lost.
Foot artillery straps would not have black underlay
also Pioneer would not have just black underlay
pre war red underlay
M1915 red over black velvet
Steve

I like the tunic but haven’t found a reason for the black underlay on the boards.

Would you say that the shoulder boards have been replaced ?
It is maybe as simple as that and the original shoulder boards should be with yellow overlay ?
If you guys on that forum can not find a reason for black underlay on the boards, then who can ?

Reactions: USN
You could try to ask the German Society for Army Science (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Heereskunde). These guys are very helpful and have helped me a few times in the past.

Back