A quite remarkable photograph

drakegoodman

When I purchased this picture on ebay I thought I was getting a composite image ie: a single picture made from a number of other pictures - often crudely. I was pleasantly surprised ...

4361083520_474da122a4_b.jpg

Original size

Brett

That is THE most awesome Landsturm photo yet, even if it is contrived / posed for. I really like this one!

:eek:ccasion5:

So much to see Sensei.

It reminds me of a WW1 book I had when I was a nipper. At the back of this book was an empty battlefield, mud, barbed wire, sandbags etc - no soldiers. On a separate sheet of semi-transparent paper were a whole lot of little figures in action positions, that you placed around the battlefield by rubbing the back of the transparent paper with a pencil.

I remember rubbing only half a figure would give you the result of a man blown in half. War's hell :cool:

Don't make fun of this very serious and secret training in preparation of the Seine crossing which would have taken place exactly like on the picture if the Marne battle had not been lost.

I like the amphibious forces most, particularly the 1-man assault raft in the front :D

Unique beyond doubt but also hilarious. I can't believe the officers allowing this to be set up. They certainly are all full of themselves, I like the drawn swords in particular! Brian

Great photo....the Four Man Tom Sawyer assault raft is great, perfect balance too...Jim seems to have lightened up a bit though.

Larmo

The thing I like the best is the classic three pack raft that the officer is standing on, this is made by wrapping the pack and equipment with the Zelt, and then lashing three together to make the raft, it is obvious that the water is either very shallow in this photo, or the rafts are supported by stones or other props, I will have to look through my books to find the instructions for the raft. I can understand the reason for this photo, it shows so many expediants that it would be a learning aid as well as a moral boster.
Gus

Back