A relic of the Franco-Prussian War

Scratch

I already had an M1860 Prussian pickelhaube. It’s genuine enough and perfectly ok, if not a particularly special example. So I wasn’t looking to spend a large sum of money on what is essentially a duplicate. However, when one appeared on German ebay a little while ago, it was one of those moments when you see something and know you’ve got to have it. Everything looked wonderfully untouched, with most original gilding remaining on the plate as it turned out:

bfqpso.jpg

24mt81z.jpg

2h85uea.jpg

What made it really special, though, was the interior. There were no photos and the seller was not very communicative, but I took a chance on it anyway. The liner and fixings seem to be just fine:

zko5et.jpg

but the star of the show is the label on the back peak, mentioned but not pictured in the description:

307yzy9.jpg

Here is a close-up of the label.

dvonsp.jpg

The label reads: “Helmet of my late comrade Aug.[ust] Witt Hof Krog from the 1870/71 war. Witt took an enemy bullet in the upper arm from 1870 to the grave with him. Donated by Willy Winkler, 1/11/26.” I read that as meaning that it didn't kill him, but couldn't be got out so had to be left there for the rest of his life.

I’m guessing that this was kept in a local museum, or perhaps a veterans’ association. I suspect that is when the national cockade was put on. It’s part of the helmet’s history now and I’m leaving it there.

I haven’t been able to trace the soldier. However I am thrilled to be the custodian of such an evocative piece, which I thought I’d share with you.

Thanks for looking!

S.

Thank you for showing us. Fantastic tag! I am afraid that Larry might wet his pants. :nike: :nike: :nike:

Back