A Saxon Artillery Officer Pickelhaube

Very nice foot arty helmet. I thought the coat is arm shd be silver but I maybee wrong. Let's hear what the experts have to say. Your helmet is a pre 1903 model as the visor was more angular after 1903.

I thought the Guilded Saxon overlay or coat of arms whatever one prefers to call it was a special distinction to the Saxon Lieb Grenadier Regiment no.100.

Nice helmet by the way, Congratulations. I've seen it somewhere just can't remember where.

Last edited:
The guide is that if it is a brass helmet then the coat of arm shd be silver color, that's my understanding.
I think you’re correct. The reserves cross and cost of arms should be silver. It’s a good looking helmet. I think I saw this helmet on CS Militaria.

Thanks a lot !
Indeed I purchased it at CS Militaria.
So the wappen is not good and I should change it with a one having a silver coat of arms ?

I wonder the gilt cost of arms came to be applied. Other than this one issue its a beautiful helmet. Did it come with a cover?

To my knowledge the only Saxon units that wore the Silver Starburst with a Gilt/Brass Arms of Saxony were the Royal Saxon Garde Reiter Regiment, the 1st Royal Saxon Leib Grenadier Regiment Nr.100, the Royal Saxon Telegraph Battalion Nr.7 and the 1st Saxon Eisenbahn Regiment.

Hello Charles,

Yes it comes with a nice feldgrau cover.
I would prefer not changing the wappen since it looks to have always been there and there is no extra hole.

@Amy : here is the link to CS Militaria :

Thanks Amy and Nick for your comment but it is getting even more confusing now since I looked in the books...

Please find an extract of page 293 of the Didier Laine Book : "L'armée Allemande en 1914" :

IMG_0216.jpg

Yap that makes it more confusing so u have to decide what to do with it. I still stay with brass star with silver coat of arm

Regards

Hello Charles,

Yes it comes with a nice feldgrau cover.
I would prefer not changing the wappen since it looks to have always been there and there is no extra hole.

@Amy : here is the link to CS Militaria :

Thanks Amy and Nick for your comment but it is getting even more confusing now since I looked in the books...

Please find an extract of page 293 of the Didier Laine Book : "L'armée Allemande en 1914" :

View attachment 39908
I think that your plate is correct
Steve

Thanks a lot !
Indeed I purchased it at CS Militaria.
So the wappen is not good and I should change it with a one having a silver coat of arms ?
Please, No change necessary. That’s the correct way for Saxon reserve officers.

Best wishes,

GardeUlan

Congratulations, it’s a beautiful helmet.
Above all, Mémé32, do not touch the central emblem. The colour is only reversed for active officers.
Gold star, silver emblem and if silver star, gold emblem.
For Saxon Reserve or Landwehr officers, only the Landwehr cross is reversed, as shown here.

The case shown by Amy (Saxon macaron in the same colour as the Landwehrkreuz) is a fantasy, often encountered, but not the rule.

---Officier Rés-Lwr 0K :
Saxe0ffRés.jpg
In fact, it's all about alternating colours to highlight the 2 or 3 elements. Gold-Silver or Gold-Silver-Gold. Avoid using 2 identical colours in succession.

---0fficier Res-Lwr fantasy :

SaxLWK0ff.jpg

However, the question did not arise for enlisted soldiers, as the Saxon emblem and the Lwk were always reversed on the star,
Saxe Réserve petite LWK.jpg

whether with the large or small module

Saxe Reserve grande LWK.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot everyone for the detailed explanations !
It is finally an interesting thread, those Saxon reservist Wappen are very nice and finally not such a straightforward topic !
This forum is really the best place to learn !

Congratulations, it’s a beautiful helmet.
Above all, do not touch the central emblem. The colour is only reversed for active officers.
Gold star, silver emblem and if silver star, gold emblem.
For Saxon Reserve or Landwehr officers, only the Landwehr cross is reversed, as shown here.

The case shown by Amy (Saxon macaron in the same colour as the Landwehrkreuz) is a fantasy, often encountered, but not the rule.

---Officier Rés-Lwr 0K :
View attachment 39926

---0fficier Res-Lwr fantasy :

View attachment 39927

However, the question did not arise for enlisted soldiers, as the Saxon emblem and the Lwk were always reversed on the star,
View attachment 39928

whether with the large or small module

View attachment 39929
I have learnt something new again. Thames Clovis

Back