A special Bavarian Pickelhaube cover

Adler

Just a little while ago, I was able to purchase this rather special pickelhaube cover. Maybe nothing interesting at first sight, but by examining the card of the Kriegsministerium, it seems that this probe cover dates from may 8th 1916.

Isn’t it strange that an überzug dating 1916 has green cyphers on it, while these where abandoned in 1915 (I think)?

Isn’t it also strange they still developed a cover for a pickelhaube in 1916 or could this be for the future Friedenshelm?

Anyway, I tried to translate the card and this is what I could make of it:

German: PROBE Das Überzgrl zum Helm mit abnehmbarem Kugel für Feld- und Fussartillerie (k m e vom 8.5.16 Nr 45471)
English: TEST PIECE The cover for helmet with detachable ball for Field- and Footartillery ( k m e from may 8th 16 N° 45471)

Imo the cyphers “k m e” mean kriegs ministerium erklärung (War departments statement), but I can be wrong in that of course… It seems very plausible anyway…

Since the wax seal is from the Bavarian Kriegsministerium, it looks like this type of cover was intended for Bavarian M15 pickelhaube of the Feld- and Fussartillerie. I hope my reasoning is right but if not, please correct me…

Adler

nice find
it makes it special with that tag on it
and even a nice wax seal
nice one karel
for that wild guess i think you naild it
it makes sense for me

jonas

In May of 1916 there was a limited supply of steel helmets, also they may not have realized that the steel helmet would become the universal cover in combat. So the development of a "better" cover may have been logical.

Didn't the Bavarians used a spike for their artillery units and not the ball?

Great Pickelhaube cover :thumb up:

aicusv said:

The bavarians were special, they indeed used spikes for their artillery units, but during the war they also used kugelhelmets.

Pickelhaube

Thanks all for your nice comments guys!

In May of 1916 there was a limited supply of steel helmets, also they may not have realized that the steel helmet would become the universal cover in combat. So the development of a "better" cover may have been logical.

I think you might be right, but the strange thing is that it has a green cypher and they stopped wearing these in 1915 or so?
The Bavarians were at least a bit "different" when compared with the others... Bavarian artillery used indeed spikes until 1916 and then addopted the ball top.
Aha, while writing this, it starts making sence to me :-k ... Addopting the ball top in 1916 and having a probe for a cover for a helmet with detachable ball in may 1916 seems very plausible... Mistery about the date is solved! Just the green "4" is still getting on my system :cool: ... Can someone please explain this to me :-" ?

Adler

Adler said:
I think you might be right, but the strange thing is that it has a green cypher and they stopped wearing these in 1915 or so?
The Bavarians were at least a bit "different" when compared with the others... Bavarian artillery used indeed spikes until 1916 and then addopted the ball top.
Aha, while writing this, it starts making sence to me :-k ... Addopting the ball top in 1916 and having a probe for a cover for a helmet with detachable ball in may 1916 seems very plausible... Mistery about the date is solved! Just the green "4" is still getting on my system :cool: ... Can someone please explain this to me :-" ?

Adler

It will NEVER be explained and will ALWAYS bother you until you get rid of the cover. My address is....

I wish the Germans had retained the Pickelhaube for ceremonial occasions, but with a New Empire being built, I guess that just didn't fit in... so sad.

:D Ron

Adler said:
Isn’t it strange that an überzug dating 1916 has green cyphers on it, while these where abandoned in 1915 (I think)?

Karel,

I just took a look at Joes website. Green cyphers were "officially" abandoned late october 1916 :wink:
And it´s very possible that green cyphers were worn a few weeks more, till all soldiers put them away...

oct1916700.jpg

Philippe
:D

Thank you gentlemen!

Philippe, also thanks for pointing this out! Questions solved I would say =D> ...

Adler 1

Adler said:
Ok, I get it \:D/ ...

But they did use pickelhauben until well in the thirties...

Adler

You're right. Wish they'd bring it back. :wink: But then, I don't think I really clue into the current German feelings / opinions about the Kaizerzeit. ? They probably would rather put it behind them. I dunno.

:D Ron

Back