A spiked helmet with banner 1655

Hello

What do you think of this helmet?

View attachment 43128View attachment 43129View attachment 43130View attachment 43131View attachment 43132View attachment 43133
My questions would be
Have any old Kammer issue stamps been removed ?
Have the brass gromets been remover where the front plate goes through ?
Let's see what others say.
Steve

1710190007033.png
Well Steve, it doesn't have double holes. Picture is from the sellers advertisement. It doesn't have the brass grommets though.
Regards, Coert.

Hello Jupiter66,

on the face of it, it looks pretty good... but...

the Roman numeral IV in front of the company K is astonishing. In addition, since the 1655 banner was "added" (which was done in 1899 to bring the regiment's helmets into line), you absolutely must have access to the back of the eagle and this banner. There are some very nice "repro" banners on the market. Infra the one currently available from Spikehelmets :

1655 GR1 fake.GIF1655 Gr1 Spikehelmets.jpg
Typically the kind of headset you don't want to buy on teleshopping, digitized, virtual, live, via images.

Hello Jupiter66,

on the face of it, it looks pretty good... but...

the Roman numeral IV in front of the company K is astonishing. In addition, since the 1655 banner was "added" (which was done in 1899 to bring the regiment's helmets into line), you absolutely must have access to the back of the eagle and this banner. There are some very nice "repro" banners on the market. Infra the one currently available from Spikehelmets :

View attachment 43136View attachment 43137
Typically the kind of headset you don't want to buy on teleshopping, digitized, virtual, live, via images.
Should it not be IV A K ?
Steve

Well, on the site where the helmet is on sale, there are some pictures of the back of the eagle.
The eagle is fastened with leather wedges. How the banner is fastened I cannot see from the picture.
Maybe somebody with better eyes can see more:
1710191378452.png
The picture isn't that clear though.

Hello Steve,
In helmets, the K (or C) stands for compagnie. The AK is never indicated as such, but the B.A. is.
Opposite 1GR should read B.A. 1 (Bekleidungsamt)
Clovis
What do you think of the Kammer issue stamps ?
Steve

Hello Steve,
In helmets, the K (or C) stands for compagnie. The AK is never indicated as such, but the B.A. is.
Clovis
What do you think of the Kammer issue stamps ?
Steve
Hello Steve,
Clovis
Of course you are correct
I was thinking of the Armee Korp IV
Another thought I had is that the G R 1 front plate for enlisted men is a 1 piece stamping
I went to look at my example and it is 1 piece
Maybe some of the early ones could have the banner as an added piece ?
On the G R 1 officers the banner is added
my e m example is a Kammer issue helmet
G R 1 1909 another stamp seems to be hard to read
I B ?
SteveG R 1  e m .JPGG R 1 e m Kammer.JPGG R 1 officer.JPG

The 1GR brand looks OK. The absence of eyelets is not common, but can sometimes be seen, especially on M87 or M91 bombs.
Here's another marking, but we know that you can find several stamps for the same regiment, depending on the period.

Attachments

• G 1  4K.GIF
    G 1 4K.GIF
    174.7 KB · Views: 10
As I've already said, yes, the officer's eagles still have their banner attached and welded.
As for the enrolled ones, when the banners were granted by the Kaiser in 1899, they were added and welded on the Prussian eagles of the line (Waterloo, belle alliance etc...) already in endowment. On the other hand, new orders from 1900 onwards featured one-piece eagles with streamers.
For the 1GR, however, the problem is different. 1655 had been on the eagle of the old regiments (FWR) since 1888. On May 6, 1900, the eagle of the Linien-Grenadier (formerly the eagle of the Garde-Grenadier without Garde-Stern) replaced the FWR eagle on the 1GR with 1655 on the tail. This eagle is immediately struck with the banner in a single sheet of brass. So for enlisted, still a one-piece eagle with integrated 1655.

I'm sorry to say but I don't like the stamps, it seems like some underlying stamps have been rubbed out, and new ones put on top. I don't like the font, or the smudginess of the stamps that seems to be the same on both sides, even though the stamping should have taken place at different times. Added to the unusual "IV. K." marking, I would not buy this helmet.
Regards,
Lars

G 1  4K.GIF
Here's a cartridge marking (stamp) in an unmistakable helmet. However, this marking is not unique to the 1GR, a hot-iron marking was applied before 1895, and in ink but in unframed figures and letters later.

Back