A strange ersatz pickelhaube

Adler

It’s been a long time ago since I posted something, but this is due to reorganizing the bunker and of course also the summer holidays… But don’t worry, here I am again with something you hopefully will enjoy…
A while ago, I was surprised to encounter a pickelhaube like this. As usual when I discover something special, I feel the need to bring it home… which I did of course…
The dome and the visors are not made in one piece but of two half pickelhauben so to speak. The two parts are stitched together with a leather strap during the manufacturing proces; this is clearly visible because the makers label is also stitched together with the rest. It’s also clear that this leather strap follows the sides of the two parts, but not in a straight line.
The thread that was used to stitch the liner into the dome has a weird light purple colour and it’s thicker than usual. I guess they just used what they had available at that moment…
Also the helmet plate seems to be slapped on the helmet body without taking the time to even look at it while punching the holes. It sits really crooked…
As a result of these things, the entire pickelhaube looks as if everything is just thrown together… But I like it, because this is really ersatz of the ersatz…

Adler

View attachment 1

View attachment 3

View attachment 2

Interesting, I don't believe that they thought these helmets would last long and therefore just knocked them out. I once had one that had a large crease on the side from when they shaped the felt, it must of had a fold in the material and they just left it. Waste not want not.

Thankx for your nice comments gentlemen!
It's indeed a very unusual pickelhaube, dut that's what makes it very intereting for me. When they would be all the same, it wouldn't be much of collecting I guess…
Sorry, no Les Islettes for me this year…

Adler

Hi Karel,

Great looking helmet, congratulations! =D>

This is only the 3rd example of this type of ersatz helmet that I have ever seen.

I have a similar looking example with the leather strap only on the back of the helmet. It sort of looks like what a backspine would be on a helmet. My helmet came with a trunk grouping from the estate of a WW1 U.S. officer in Minnesota. I will post photos of it in a separate thread. My helmet is nowhere near as nice as your example is as it is made of very thin felt, and has cracks/splits at the edge around the helmet.

Best Regards,

Alan

I have a Prussian pioneer filz with a feldgrau cloth spine which I will post pics of soon. I have had this in the collection since the 80’s. I feel that it is a repair, there is also a leather strip sewen on the inside.

Thanks for your comment Brian!
Please do post those pictures, cant wait long [-o< …

Adler

Back