A Tribute to Tony

A

Anonymous

Hello All:

I think we would all agree that when it comes to photographing collections, the quality of Tony's pictures is "ausgezeichnet." This past June, I enjoyed a weekend visiting with Tony, his lovely wife, Ann, and a pair of rambunctious Dachshunds. Photography was just one of the many subjects we discussed, and I found myself the grateful beneficiary of Herr Schnurr's knowledge.

Since the rebirth of the Pickelhaubes forum, virtually every picture I have posted has been taken using what I call the Schnurr Technique. It's not a secret, but rather a system for using diffused sunlight to achieve even exposure without shadows.

I photographed this subject earlier today. It is a private purchase Hannoversches JB Nr. 10 Tschako that I know Tony would really like to have. Unfortunately for him, I'm far too attached to the Helm to consider a swap. Therefore, Tony will just have to settle for a nice picture until he inherits.

KICX0200.jpg

As a private purchase helmet, the Tschako displays some unusual features. It has a lower profile than issued Mannschaften helmets and is without side ventilators. The liner is high quality pigskin and the Wappen is secured by threaded posts, washers, and nuts (very odd for a post 1895 enlisted Wappen).

KICX0206.jpg

What makes this helmet truly unique is the personalized endearment written on the top panel of the Tschako. First there is a partially legible maker's stamp:

Otto Walther
Militär......en-Fabrik
Berlin N.
Chaussee-Str. 38
Gegr. 1873

Then, in Suetterlin script:

Meinem Lieber Oskar
zum
10. Juni 1903.
Franz Schuckhardt

What I hadn't considered until today is that trying to write this inside the top of a Tschako with a nib pen would be comparable to trying to write a message in the bottom of a coffee can. How?

My best guess is that the panel was personalized before the helmet was assembled; or, the panel is a very thin piece of leather glued inside the helmet after assembly. Either way, it's pretty darn touching.

Chas.

Back