A Variation Bavarian Infantry Officer Sword

SCHUPO

Gents,

I thought I would show a variation Bavarian Infantry Officer sword that I picked up at the Leavenworth Militaria show last weekend.

It is a very nice example of a wartime iron hilt Infantry Officer Sword that has a black finished iron hilt instead of the normally seen brass hilt. These factory black finished swords are somewhat scarce. This sword was made by WK&C but is not shown in their post-WWI catalogs as they apparently quit making these swords sometime after 1918. The brass hilt Bavarian sword is shown as their Nr. 150 (Infantrie-Offizer-Sabel). My sword has an iron guard with a black finish and the grip is black celluloid with twisted brass wire wrap. The polished bright blade (not plated) has the Bavarian motto etched on the obverse and reverse sides as is normal. The scabbard is painted black and has a single suspension ring. I had a proper Bavarian Infantry Offizier Portepee in blue and silver that I attached to the sword to complete the rig. The Infantry Officer Portepee is tied in the proper manner for this style of sword.

Another nice Imperial German sword that I was happy to find at the show. I always seem to find something I can't seem to live without at this local show.

Attachments

• Bav iron hilt sword.JPG
    Bav iron hilt sword.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Bav iron hilt sword hilt.JPG
    Bav iron hilt sword hilt.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Bav iron hilt sword back.JPG
    Bav iron hilt sword back.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Bav iron hilt sword WK&C.JPG
    Bav iron hilt sword WK&C.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 19
Thank you all for the likes and kudos.

I should also say that this style of Bavarian Portepee with the strap entering the stem is proper for Infantry Officers. The same blue and silver Portepee with a strap attached to the stem with a wire loop is the proper one for mounted Officers in the Bavarian service.

Attachments

• Bav sword knots.JPG
    Bav sword knots.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 6
Back