A very rare spike..

Yes, a rare spike. It has damage to it. The top of spike is dented which is not the end of the world. There is a small dent on the back side. The most serious issue is the bottom edge of the spike looks like it has rust damage to the edge on one side of the spike. Notice the irregular shape of the bottom edge of spike on one side which can be seen in photos? It appears the metal has corroded on the bottom edge of spike and has deteriorated. A small portion of the bottom edge of the removable spike is now missing in one area as seen in photos.

What is going on with the exterior condition of the helmet shell, with the raised "flaked" areas of finish?

The Seller was "smart" to put a rare spike on a damaged helmet in order to get more money out of the poor condition helmet that otherwise would not attract much interest.

Best wishes to you Coert in your attempt to purchase it.

Alan

Yes, a rare spike. It has damage to it. The top of spike is dented which is not the end of the world. There is a small dent on the back side. The most serious issue is the bottom edge of the spike looks like it has rust damage to the edge on one side of the spike. Notice the irregular shape of the bottom edge of spike on one side which can be seen in photos? It appears the metal has corroded on the bottom edge of spike and has deteriorated. A small portion of the bottom edge of the removable spike is now missing in one area as seen in photos.

What is going on with the exterior condition of the helmet shell, with the raised "flaked" areas of finish?

The Seller was "smart" to put a rare spike on a damaged helmet in order to get more money out of the poor condition helmet that otherwise would not attract much interest.

Best wishes to you Coert in your attempt to purchase it.

Alan
Thank's Alan!
I was bidding on it, but somebody just outbid me. The price is now 400€, and I think it will get higher, as the auction will end monday.
I like that spike, but not that much though..

Regards, Coert.

It just got sold, for €856,00. I am glad I walked away from that one, no way I would have paid that much for a spike.

But,...... it is a rare spike.....!
Indeed, it is rare. But you know, I bought a complete Hessen M15 here on the forum for €1000.
With a Prussian spike on the kreuzblatt. As most know, you can find Hessen M15's with the round spikebase, and a Hessen spike, or a Prussian spike, or with the kreuzblatt and Hessen spike or a Prussian one.
The spike is rare, but I will not go that far to aquire it.

My Hessen M15 has the typical Prussian M15 spike on it. The kreuzblatt and Hessen type spike would have been a bit nicer but these are so rare, that there was no way that I was not going to buy it!

My Hessen M15 has the typical Prussian M15 spike on it. The kreuzblatt and Hessen type spike would have been a bit nicer but these are so rare, that there was no way that I was not going to buy it!
Are you saying that you are the winner of this auction Brian ?

No Ed I did not bid. My statement is confusing now that I re read it. Here is what I meant to say: I have an M15 Hessen with Typical Prussian grey spike on it in my collection. An M15 Hessen helmet with kreuzblatt spike would have been preferred. However, these M15 Hessen are so rare that I had to buy the helmet even though the spike was a Prussian round base style.

Well the helmet without the spike would have sold for $250-$350
So he got the spike for about $500
Probably $100 too much but what are the chances of getting a real one ?
So for the price if you have deep pockets is not outlandish.
In my opinion.
I do not have deep pockets !

Well the helmet without the spike would have sold for $250-$350
So he got the spike for about $500
Probably $100 too much but what are the chances of getting a real one ?
So for the price if you have deep pockets is not outlandish.
In my opinion.
I do not have deep pockets !
Good luck trying to get $250 to $350 on a seriously crummy condition commonly found helmet in today's market/economy. Good luck, lol.

And the spike has damage to it, which I pointed out. The great unknown about the spike is just how badly it is damage due to the severe rust erosion problem on the bottom of the spike which we could only barely see in the photos from the seller. He purposely chose not to take the spike off the helmet to show how extensive the rust damage is.

I don't have deep pockets either, and I don't blame Coert for not bidding higher on it. It wasn't worth the price, IMHO.

Best Wishes,

Alan

But,...... it is a rare spike.....!
Yes, but it has condition issues, with the rust decay and missing bottom edge in one area which we can't entirely see the severity of the damage due to the seller not showing the spike removed from the helmet and fully disclosing the erosion damage due to rust.

And the helmet itself has serious condition issues, which would make for a hard to sell item in today's realistic crummy world economy and the bite that inflation has put upon everyone. Especially with fuel prices in Europe & UK, and food prices are knocking a lot of collectors out from being buyers right now.

Back