About the invention and introduction of the Pickelhaube in Prussia

Sandy I encourage you to place this information on your website. Your research will soon become the ‘go to’ information base, especially when this Forum and my website fade away. Well done and please keep going. Tony
Dear friends,
I'm glad to announce that I've now added my research results about the origin of the German term „Pickelhaubes“ and the english term „spiked helmet“.
About the origin of the German nickname "Pickelhaube" and the English name „spiked helmet“

Furthermore, I am happy to have found a new original source regarding my article „About the invention and introduction of the Pickelhaube in Prussia“, which I have attached there as an addendum. It's an English language report by a British military journalist that I found by searching the term "spiked helmet". He attended the Prussian maneuvers in 1842 and also confirms in this article, that the 1st Battalion of IR15 wore the spiked helmets of polished leather for a test and that Wilhelm Jäger produced it.

Dear friends,
Tony's comment about the transience of private websites got me thinking, so I decided to offer my articles for free download and started a download section. I will prepare also the rest of the articles in the nearer future :)

Dear friends,
Tony's comment about the transience of private websites got me thinking, so I decided to offer my articles for free download and started a download section. I will prepare also the rest of the articles in the nearer future :)

That’s very generous of you Sandy. Thanks. Also leaves a bit of a legacy.

I don't know the book, but I know the legend. But as you can read in my article About the invention and introduction of the Pickelhaube in Prussia, I found several newspaper articles from 1841, all naming Prince Frederick of Prussia as the inventor of the spiked helmet (see the various references under "Add. to #8"). At the beginning of 1841 he presented a self designed helmet in Berlin, whereupon he was appointed by King Wilhelm IV to chair a commission to find new uniforms and equipment, which went into service in May 1841. Only 2 month later, In July 1841, the Garde du Corps were then equipped with the spiked helmets acc. to his design for testing. One article even mentioned that this was a departure from the tradition of using Russian uniforms as a model for Prussian uniforms.
I think I have collected enough different original sources from 1841/42 to support my narrative. While I am not aware of any original source from 1841 or 1842 that names King Wilhelm IV as the originator of the spiked helmet. Also in the book you mentioned it is written that it is just a legend. And since the sketch of the spiked helmets drawn by the king dates from 1842 according to the archive entry, the story hardly becomes more believable. I think that newspaper articles from various military newspapers from 1841 are more conclusive.

Back