All Quiet on the Western Front

I will watch it tonight !

I did notice in the trailer they have tanks.
In the original and remake with Ernst Borgnine there were no tanks.

Were tanks in the book ?

I watched it yesterday and enjoyed it. The battle scenes are very well done. I have seen both of the previous versions as well and read the book. This latest film introduces some new story lines and I would say is more loosely based on the novel. I used scenes from All Quiet many times during my teaching career.

I have to say I did not really enjoy it, the 3 constant loud beats of base drove me nuts, and the movie was all over the place.

Not the worst movie ever, but not great, I thought it would be better...

Even the John Boy( From waltons) version was better.

Just my opinion.

James

I eagerly awaited October28 so I could watch the movie and I must say was a bit disappointed. Maybe because I was hoping for this remake to be more like the 1930s version. I too thought the movie was "all over the place" so made it more difficult to enjoy. The battle scenes and battlefields were well done and, I guess, overall it is a good movie. However, it doesn't come close to matching the original 1930s movie and/or the book.

I've always thought the original was great. I understand that some of the background actors were actual German vets.

SPOILER ALERT ! SPOILER ALERT !! SPOILER ALERT

I actually thought that the movie did not skip all over the place.
There was a progression to it but skipped a whole lot of info as the first 2 movies.

Here is my take on the new All Quiet movie.
Granted I have not read the book but it was a little disappointing because I have seen the original and the remake with John boy and Ernest B.
Probably if I had not seen the other 2 I would have enjoyed this one more.
The new movie had the boys go from the school strait to the front lines skipping boot camp.
I think that this should have stayed in the new movie.
Kat was a scrounger and survivor and took the new recruits under his wing .
He taught them how to survive in the trenches and how to fight hand to hand.
This was skipped in the new movie.
I did not like the demise of Kat in the new movie and it actually made me mad the way it happened .
The last offensive seen in the new movie really got me going !
Damn those General rabble rousers !
I actually liked the demise of Paul better in the original 2 movies .
Paul's demise saddened me in the new movie more so than the original movies.
It is a movie worth seeing.

SPOILER ALERT ! SPOILER ALERT !! SPOILER ALERT

I actually thought that the movie did not skip all over the place.
There was a progression to it but skipped a whole lot of info as the first 2 movies.

Here is my take on the new All Quiet movie.
Granted I have not read the book but it was a little disappointing because I have seen the original and the remake with John boy and Ernest B.
Probably if I had not seen the other 2 I would have enjoyed this one more.
The new movie had the boys go from the school strait to the front lines skipping boot camp.
I think that this should have stayed in the new movie.
Kat was a scrounger and survivor and took the new recruits under his wing .
He taught them how to survive in the trenches and how to fight hand to hand.
This was skipped in the new movie.
I did not like the demise of Kat in the new movie and it actually made me mad the way it happened .
The last offensive seen in the new movie really got me going !
Damn those General rabble rousers !
I actually liked the demise of Paul better in the original 2 movies .
Paul's demise saddened me in the new movie more so than the original movies.
It is a movie worth seeing.

I agree, the lack of the training sequence really hurts the film, because we can't understand the significance of the death of those young men and what it means to Paul. The audience has almost no connection to them.

If this was the direction that the writer/director wanted to go, I wish it would have been a multi-part series that could have kept much of the original story and added some of these elements.

Now that you mention that Pete, I agree....no Himmelstoss at the Oldenburg training centre or later at the front.

One thing I wondered about was that bullet hole in Paul’s helmet. He got it, I believe, in 1917. At the end of the war, 1918, he had the same helmet with the same hole. Was it normal to keep a “holed” helmet? I would have guessed not.
Dosty

I have read in personal CN WW1 veterans accounts that this was regarded superstitiously as a "lucky" helmet as despite the damage the wearer survived the encounter and thus, continued to wear it. I think that it is understandable that one would still wear a piece of kit that had saved your life.

I have read in personal CN WW1 veterans accounts that this was regarded superstitiously as a "lucky" helmet as despite the damage the wearer survived the encounter and thus, continued to wear it. I think that it is understandable that one would still wear a piece of kit that had saved your life.
Is that like keeping a match because it worked so well the first time?😁

I don’t really see the comparison between helmet and match but if you have a lucky match then…good for you. 😁

Reactions: USN
I don’t really see the comparison between helmet and match but if you have a lucky match then…good for you. 😁
I think a closer comparison would probably be keeping the bullet/ shrapnel piece that almost killed you as a good luck charm.

Yes, I would agree with that Will. Speaking of shrapnel I once bought a CEF WW1 medical doctor’s tunic and effects which included a bag full of shrapnel pieces and lead balls which he had removed from patients during the war. The largest piece of shrapnel was about 4.5 inches long and looked incredibly vicious!

I must say after watching the movie I found that the death of Paul was a lot more gut renching than expected. The whole “walk up the stairs bit” and the new recruit taking his place really drove despair and depravity that these men faced every day. I was quit sad when he died, though I already new the plot. Although it does not compare to the 1930 film I must say It was quit entertaining and the filmography was incredible! On a more sombre note, it really made me think about my collection. And how the mint pieces in our collection were probably the items of soldiers who never came back. Lord I can’t look at my collection the same after this.

I watched the remake version on Netflix a few days ago. I too kept going back to the original movie and novel. I thought the photography was a bit dark and fuzzy but I marked that down to a directorial decision on how they wanted the movie to look. Anyway, in the end I did not see the need for the remake since the original is readily available and has its own history.

Just In My Humble Opinion (IMHO).

Back