Alte kameraden

Incredible! So just to be clear Zeb…. the helme and canteen shown, belong to the soldat in the photo?

No, no Brian. I added the photo only as historical testimoniance of the period. It is the photographic evidence that contextualizes the objects I posted.

Nice set, good it still has the plume and it looks like all the straps on the canteen survived. Looks like it is stamped 1884 on the leather portion of the canteen also.
Cheers,
Dennis

Very good Zeb, now I understand. 👍 Still, an excellent period photo to go with your other pieces.

That is a wonderful helmet. That is Jäger yes? I do not have my Bayern reference by Seibold & Schulz available, could someone remind me please what model year is this?

I would say it is Model 1845/48 and because of the brass clasp on the side of the helmet I would say it is an artillery helmet.

I would say it is Model 1845/48 and because of the brass clasp on the side of the helmet I would say it is an artillery helmet.
I completely agree with Sandy. The Helm is the Bavarian Model 1845/48. The renforcement brass claps on the side indicate It's artillery helm. Could be wrong but the chauvaleger also had the side's clasps.

so I agree a M1845/48, however plume appears to be green which would be Infantry....

An yes brass side supports make it Artillery or Chevaulergers, so helmet with wrong plume, or maybe plume faded over the years?

Still a nice find

James

I completely agree with Sandy. The Helm is the Bavarian Model 1845/48. The renforcement brass claps on the side indicate It's artillery helm. Could be wrong but the chauvaleger also had the side's clasps.
You are right, the Chevaulegere had also claps like these, but I think these would have an oval crowned brass shield as a plate and would be decorated in the front half with hanging brass chains. Concerning the color of the plume I think it may be faded.
3E6A4120-7067-49E9-8D4B-E80B1976C2E2.jpeg
(Source: homepage-andreas-meininger.de - Königreich BAYERN, 2tes Chevauxlegers Regiment, Gemeiner u. Trompeter. Paradeanzug)

In my opinion, the plate with oval crowned brass shield, as showed in the upper image seems to be the first emblem of the king Ludwig I ( 1825-1848). This brass emblem, apart the monogram L inside the oval, is identical to the one of the Mod. 1818 of King Maximiian Joseph (monogram MJK).

so I agree a M1845/48, however plume appears to be green which would be Infantry....

An yes brass side supports make it Artillery or Chevaulergers, so helmet with wrong plume, or maybe plume faded over the years?

Still a nice find

James
Sincerely I have not a certain answer regarding the carrot.
I believe it may be an artillery helmet with faded colours over the years, but we cannot rule out that it may have been replaced a long time ago.

One last clue to solve the mystery.
On the internal neck guard the number "5"Bayerische Jagerreserve Raupenhelm 1855 (19).jpg.
It could be the regiment or .......

In my opinion, the plate with oval crowned brass shield, as showed in the upper image seems to be the first emblem of the king Ludwig I ( 1825-1848). This brass emblem, apart the monogram L inside the oval, is identical to the one of the Mod. 1818 of King Maximiian Joseph (monogram MJK).
You are right Zeb.

Back