Amazing what a bit of gold spray paint can do?

newbe

Amazing what a bit of gold spray paint can do?

The eagle looks to have been sprayed gold as well.

Any comments?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-PRUSSIAN-GARDE-Helmet-with-Crowned-Eagle_W0QQitemZ390058731357QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad14fe75d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A3%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50

ouch! :cry: I did the same thing sort of once but it was for a lot less money. I just had to have it. And if you want it bad you get it bad. :cry: :cry:

joerookery said:
ouch! :cry: I did the same thing sort of once but it was for a lot less money. I just had to have it. And if you want it bad you get it bad. :cry: :cry:
Was that the portrait of Bismark?

I had forgotten about that :eek: :eek:

While that was one of my more visible blunders the most expensive one was a dragoon helmet with the wrong plume. :cool: :cool:

I corresponded several times with the owner. The helmet is actually tombac. just gone really dirty. The parade eagle is silver also gone really grubby. nothing painted all just needing a good clean and a little repair to the silver trim. so as a helmet valued as parts it still comes out a bit less than you may have to pay for these spare parts if bought seperately

Welcome to the forum Mini!! :eek:ccasion5: :eek:ccasion5: This thing did have an interesting maker's Mark. :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin:

Welcome Minihelmets,
The thing that looked dodgey to me was the Kockarden, they do look to be painted gold, I do not know of any brass construction on Kockarden, and I can not think of any reason for them to appear gold.
Best wishes
Gus

I woulkd say the cockades were showing slight rust film along with dirt.
I wouldn't presume they were painted just because they looked gold.

I presumed the helmet trim was brass(Look again at the pics) and the helmet was steel.
Not so,, Tombac helmet and silver trim!

Back