America and Covid

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I have had a couple of phone conversations and emails recently with my American collector friends. They seem to be unaware that about 3 weeks ago your President leant the people of Mexico 2 million doses of Astra Zeneca and the people of Canada 1.5 million doses. You saved 3.5 million human lives during this pandemic. My wife got the AZ shot on Tuesday of this week, you saved her life and I thank you. Uncle Sam is finally going total WW2 on this virus so be proud Americans. Thank you!

Glad that you've been able to get the shots. But things on this side of the boarder aren't all roses. The miss management of the program here is unbelievable. There is no centralized system for scheduling appointments to get shots. So folks in the 1C class are getting shots before those classified 1A. Counties with low population numbers are getting more doses than counties with twice the population. My wife and I did finally get both of our shots, but it took 6 people searching and then putting our names on 8 waiting list to get an appointment.

Brian ;
you wrote ;
leant the people of Mexico 2 million doses of Astra Zeneca

Does that mean that they will give it back ??

I once was playing tennis with a fellow who asked if he could borrow
some of my drinking water .I told him that he could have some , but that
I didn't want it back .
Steve McFarland

Just to clarify, the AZ vaccine has not been approved yet for use in the USA. This is why these doses were loaned to us and we will give the same amount back. There has also been a blood clotting issue with it in some people, so it can’t be delivered into anyone under age 55. Unfortunately, Canada has no facilities to produce vaccine of any kind, we are relying on the Europeans and India to help us. In Ontario right now, we are in total shut down back to where we were in January. We had 4K new cases yesterday.

Last edited:
Aicusv, we have had a centralized universal healthcare system for decades. Our problem is lack of vaccine not distribution. I would also point out that we all want the border reopened, lending vaccine and crushing this virus is also good for Uncle Sam. My wife and I have already booked our condo in Florida for next year.

Last edited:
Distribution is left to the individual states to organize. Some states do a good job and others don't. In NH it has been very efficient and pretty easy to get scheduled....though there seem to be some bad actors involved. A friend of mine got hers last week and when she showed up at the site she discovered that someone else had received her shot using a lot of her personal information. They still had enough in reserve to give her one.

I'm in Pennsylvania, our system was a mess. But things have gotten better since the person responsible left the state (now working at the Federal level).

All Canadians have their provincial health card with their photo on it. This is the only way to get vaccinations. My card was checked 4 times when I got my first shot at mass immunization site in a local community centre. Very difficult if not impossible for anyone to steal your vaccination. Each province handles distribution up here as well but I have not heard of any foul ups. Again, our problem is lack of vaccine but even that is improving.

Brian- I wish we had that kind of security down here, but we do not, I have now ahd both my shots, never once asked for my ID , simply your name and birthdate both times....

James

The health card has to be renewed every 4 years by your province and a new mug shot taken. You are issued a temporary document until your new card arrives in the mail just in case you need medical help. You don’t have to pay for your card renewal.

Over the past week the state of North Dakota set up a vaccination site for Canadian truckers coming across the border. Once again Uncle Sam helps out his neighbours! Thank you!

So North Dakota, is now vaccinating the truckers of Manitoba. The folks of the Great Plains which extend far North of the 49th are helping each other out. No surprise, that is what they do. First, the truckers of Saskatchewan and now the truckers of Manitoba. At last some simple common sense from South of the 49th! God bless America!

Back