American Ambulance Helmet

Peter_Suciu

This is a recent addition. This is the American Ambulance Corp helmet.

american_ambulance_big1.jpg

american_ambulance_big2.jpg

very neat piece to see. I thought it would have a red cross emblem somewhere in the badge.I am probably wrong inassuming all US ambulance , were Red Cross.
Thanks for shring, very interesting piece.
mark

Nice helmet Peter. These helmets with U.S. insignia must be fairly rare?

Does the helmet have an earlier one-piece liner? I'm asking because the helmet looks to me like it has the early smooth blue paint.

zipperheads9 said:
very neat piece to see. I thought it would have a red cross emblem somewhere in the badge.I am probably wrong inassuming all US ambulance , were Red Cross.
Thanks for shring, very interesting piece.
mark
Mark, the US Ambulance Corps were not Red Cross,
Gus

These does have the early liner.

And in WWI there weren't really the "medic" helmets that you see in WWII. Likewise, these troops drove the ambulance (trucks or wagons) so they weren't in direct line of fire. The helmets were to protect from artillery.

Thank's gus.I did mean the American society of the Red Cross. But I do not know US WW1 military unit's . Nice helmet .
Mark

Hey Mark,
I WWI the US medics wore red crosses on their helmets, but they were not members of the red cross, the red cross is not used by medics any more because the Red Cross has a trade marke of the symbol, and they do not allow any one else to use it, they also have the words "First Aid "copywrited in the US, and no one but the Red Cross can teach first aid, other organizations have to call it first help or emergancy response procedures or some other nonsense. I have a very low reguard for the American Red Cross, as they present them selves as a non profit benevolent organization, but they are a blood sucking bunch of greedy money grabbers. When ever there is a desaster, the first thing they do is send a camera crew to the site and film another advertizement for blood and donations, while other groups do the actual help. My understanding is that the International Red Cross is not anything like the American Red Cross, and the the IRC is a very good organization.
Best wihses
Gus

I thought that was what Hemmingway belonged to , and they sent Ambulances and crew to Italy and Europe.These were private affairs.They did have some brittish and Canadian ones as well.
I know the red cross and red crecent were used ny medical troops , I think it was officially recognised by the hague treaty .
nothing to do with the red cross today.
mark

Hey Mark,
The Ambulance Corps were not part of the Red Cross, they were not medically trained, their mission was to transport the wounded to the hospitals from the front lines, this organization sprung up in WWI due to the massive casulties, and the difficulty it getting them from the front to the hospitals. The Ambulanc Corps started when the US was still neutral, and the men who served felt that they should be treated as neutrals, but the Germans thought otherwise due to the fact that the Americans only helped their (the German's) enemys (even though the Amican Ambulance Corps did transport German wounded too)
Gus

Back