American Pickelhaube

Maple Creek

Here are photos of an American Pickelhaube that I picked up at the SOS a few weeks ago. For those of you who saw this piece in Louisville, you’ll recall that the visor and cape were detached. I sent the piece to Cameron Laughlin for re-stitching and he did a masterful job.

According to the seller’s story, this piece was found in an attic in Maine and was sold recently as part of an estate sale. I have no other information about the thing’s history. If anybody has ideas about which militia unit may have used this type of helmet, I’d love to hear them.

There is very little information that I’ve seen in collector literature about American pickelhaubes. Joe R. sent me an article from a recent edition of Military Collector and Historian written by A.M. de Quesada. There’s a helmet at the end of this article attributed to the Rhode Island Light Artillery that strongly resembles my pickelhaube, although mine lacks the “A” on the shield. In his article Quesada speculates that RI artillery piece is of German manufacturer.

Cameron, who has had many pickelhaubes pass through his hands, presented compelling evidence indicating that my helmet is an American produced piece. Furthermore, features of the helmet suggest that it was produced by the Horstmann company. I’ve included his interesting and informed observations below. The vintage is probably 1880s.

“First off, it's a far later example than most of the others I've seen--probably 1880s. I believe it was made in this country, as opposed to being an imported German manufacture. And, more specifically, I expect it was crafted by Wm. Horstmann & Co. Its brass fittings were never gilded. It is also the largest nineteenth century American dress helmet I've ever encountered--a true size 7 5/8, and so-marked. (That's enormous even by contemporary standards)

The Pickelhaube body appears to me to have been made by a trained and talented craftsman who didn't make leather-bodied spiked helmets every day. While the finished helmet certainly has the look of a German Pickelhaube, some of its details I've never seen on the hundreds of Hun helmets upon which I've worked. For example, the liner looks German, but is only tacked in place at eight locations with a single large stitch. I have never seen a German liner attached in this fashion; they are invariably sewn around their entire perimeters. Too, the skiving around the shell's interior is far more irregular than that seen on European products--evidently accomplished with a tobacco knife rather than a French edge skiver.

Though the Quesada article is interesting, I disagree with both its historical context and some of its details. Just because a spiked helmet looks like a German Pickelhaube does not mean it was made in Germany. American companies were quite capable of manufacturing all the components seen on your helmet, and some firms--such as Horstmann--were able to craft everything from scratch in-house. The size inked on your shell's interior is American--not English or Continental. (In case I forget, there are also some interesting numeric inkings on the rear cape's interior, including what's evidently a company issue number.)

The die work on the frontplate looks like that of Horstmann's shops, and the plate's affixing nuts are one unique diagnostic feature. These brass nuts are fitted with an integral finger loop; of all the US and foreign helmets I've examined, I've only seen this distinctive nut on Horstmann's top-of-the-line helmets. Oh, and a similar Pickelhaube is depicted in Horstmann's first-ever print catalog, issued in--if memory serves--1877.

…I mentioned some non-standard features of your piece which hinted at American origins. Here are some more:

--The frontplate is crafted of precisely the weight of sheet brass used in stamping US M1881 dress helmet frontplates. This weight of brass sheet is approximately 2/3 that used on standard German Pickelhaube plates, and perhaps double that of the lightweight, very early American spiked helmet frontplates.

--The brads braised to the domed rivets used in affixing the spike baseplate are identical in weight to the brads found on US M1881 dress helmet sidebuttons--approximately half that of the German standard. Too, the heads of the rivets are far smaller than those ever used on Hun helms.

--The construction of the helmet differs from the German standard in one helpful (to the original craftsman, anyway) fashion: there is sufficient space between the liner attachment points (I mentioned tacking the liner, versus sewing a full seam in a previous email) and the visor and cape seams that the liner may be stitched in place last. This would have been a great time (and annoyance) saver during original construction, since the stitching order can be reversed, which is far easier. This is a feature I've fervently wished was present on German-manufactured Pickelhauben, but it was never (at least according to my observations of hundreds of spiked helmets) done in Hunland.

--An inked notation on your helmet's cape interior reads: "23 1/2". This is the measurement in inches of the approximate circumference of the helmet's interior. This measurement corresponds to a size 7 3/8 American. The other inked size notation--this time in the crown--of "7 5/8" is also an American size. However, this giant sizing was overly optimistic--even when the helmet was new and its leather yet-to-shrink. The fact that this designation may have caused problems at the time of issue is born out by the liner--which has been slit in two places, probably by the issue, for enlargement. (I was incorrect when I earlier stated that two standard liners had been spliced to fit this large shell).

--The leather liner was indifferently hand cut, with its lobes of slightly different sizes and shapes, and the drawstring holes punched in varying locations. German enlisted liners are typically quite uniform, and clicker-cut.

--The exterior finish on German Pickelhauben--even very early ones--is exquisitely crafted of many layers of tinted shellac. This time-consuming process appears to have been avoided by American suppliers. If you examine the couple of patches of damaged finish on your spiked helmet you can see that the US version of the high-gloss exterior finish is simply one or two layers of paint. This quick-and-dirty approach to exterior leather finish is identical to that observed on a 1880s Horstmann Raupenhelm which I restored recently.”

AmPickelhaube_Front.jpg

[/img]
AmPickelhaube_Left.jpg

That thing was a wreck at the show. I would not have wanted it in that state of repair but now… Well what a transformation. Great data also–that keeps us all looking great job Mark.

Excellent!

I wonder how WWI would've panned out if that had been accepted as part of our military's uniform. A lot of politics attached to headgear development and acceptance!
Any photos of the liner and markings?

:D Ron

Very nice Mark, Laughlino strikes again.... :D

I wonder how WWI would've panned out if that had been accepted as part of our military's uniform. A lot of politics attached to headgear development and acceptance

Ron we did, around 1872-1874 for mounted troops and 1881 for foot (including the USMC), nothing as substantial as this one, mostly pressed wool felt with gilded brass trim. We dropped them around 1902 or so for the bell crown viosr. I agree 100% about the military fashion, after the 1871 victory and unification, lot's of folks wanted a pickelhaube for their armies.

Larry

Larmo said:
Ron we did, around 1872-1874 for mounted troops and 1881 for foot (including the USMC), nothing as substantial as this one, mostly pressed wool felt with gilded brass trim. We dropped them around 1902 or so for the bell crown viosr. I agree 100% about the military fashion, after the 1871 victory and unification, lot's of folks wanted a pickelhaube for their armies.

Good points Larry. The British had the Blue Cloth Home Service Helmet with spikes, the Portuguese had leather pickelhaubes as did a lot of other nations that fought on the Allied side in WWI (Romania for example).

It was really just the fashion of the day. I don't think politics really played into it. About the only major power that didn't use spikes on some helmets at some point were the French.

Any traces of paint on that smooth edged kokarde? I wonder if it was painted red, white and blue for example or...do US States have colours?? In addition, no rear spine. Obviously, the maker was very familiar with haube construction/leather manufacture. The bolt on scales for example complete with the 2-3 combination of scales, slotted round head screws. I presume, no stitched seam running down the back of the helme so we have the 1890's construction method of wet leather stretched over a head/shell form. Any marks stamped on the underside of the spike base like for example AWES? I mean, the spike manufacture is pretty complex could they have imported these from Germany? The spike tops for example are spun on a lathe over a form. It would make sense, that the big German manufacturers would would have these parts for export especially when after 1871 many countries wanted to copy the haube. Germany in the 1890's-early 1900's was becoming a real export powerhouse and a threat to British trade supremacy. I would venture, to say that the Brits came up with their own design of the spike helmet because they were too proud to do such an obvious copy as we see here. Very nice!

Hi Ron, Here you go.

The liner is a copy of the German type, but is irregular in the cut and the placement of the holes for the liner tie.

The only marking in the dome is for the size: 7 5/8". As Cameron pointed out, this is abnormally large for a 19th century piece.

On the cape it is marked 23 1/2" which apparently corresponds to the circumference. This would correspond to a diameter of 7 3/8." I don't know why there would be a difference from the 7 5/8" marking in the dome.

The number "44" appears on both the left and right side of the cape. Not sure what this would be.

There are no other markings.

poniatowski said:
Excellent!

I wonder how WWI would've panned out if that had been accepted as part of our military's uniform. A lot of politics attached to headgear development and acceptance!
Any photos of the liner and markings?

:D Ron
[/img]
AmPickelhaube_Liner.jpg
AmPickelhaube_758ths.jpg
[/img]
AmPickelhaube_231244.jpg

Hey Guys

Another thought came to me while reading these posts (usually I'm limited to one thought a day)especially the points regarding our collective lack of knowledge of who-used-them. Might another possibility be German Veteran associations? Immigration to the US was booming in the late 19th Century, and in our collection are several Kriegerverein badges with US connections, one is back marked to an organization in Waco Texas! The haube that Mark has shown is very similar to an 1867 pattern, but with an American style eagle. What better way for a new citizen to honor the new country with love for the old. Just a thought...would you guys like to see some photos of that stuff?

Larry

About the only major power that didn't use spikes on some helmets at some point were the French.

Got a laugh out of that one Peter....it would have been a hard sell in Paris. :blackeye:

Hi Brian, No traces of paint on the kokarden. The spike doesn't unscrew. My guess is that the spike was manufactured here. I'm not sure about markings on the underside of the spike base. Cameron removed the spike to reshape the bowl, but I myself haven't seen the spike off the helmet. I think he would have mentioned it if there were any interesting markings given his deep forensic interest in this piece.

Cheers,

Mark

b.loree said:
Any traces of paint on that smooth edged kokarde? I wonder if it was painted red, white and blue for example or...do US States have colours?? In addition, no rear spine. Obviously, the maker was very familiar with haube construction/leather manufacture. The bolt on scales for example complete with the 2-3 combination of scales, slotted round head screws. I presume, no stitched seam running down the back of the helme so we have the 1890's construction method of wet leather stretched over a head/shell form. Any marks stamped on the underside of the spike base like for example AWES? I mean, the spike manufacture is pretty complex could they have imported these from Germany? The spike tops for example are spun on a lathe over a form. It would make sense, that the big German manufacturers would would have these parts for export especially when after 1871 many countries wanted to copy the haube. Germany in the 1890's-early 1900's was becoming a real export powerhouse and a threat to British trade supremacy. I would venture, to say that the Brits came up with their own design of the spike helmet because they were too proud to do such an obvious copy as we see here. Very nice!
AmPickelhaube_Back.jpg
[/img]

Hi Gus, Here you go. Cameron's re-stitching on this piece was a real bit of craftsmanship. It follows the original stitch pattern and uses materials that would have been used in the period. Close up it is very hard to detect that any repair has been done. This was a very satisfying transformation.

Mark D.

Gustaf said:
How about some before photos of the helmet?
Best
gus
AmPickelhaube_BeforeAfter.jpg

[/img]
AmPickelhaube_BeforeAfter2.jpg

Yeh, It looked like a real piece of junk, but all the parts were there and I figured that it was restorable.

I thought you might be interested in these old catalog excerpts. The first is the cover and an insert from the 1877 edition of the Horstmann catalog. I believe this was their first catalog. We suspect that my pickelhaube was a Horstmann company produced item because of the similarities with known Horstmann pieces including the economical enamel application, the weight of styling of the front plate, and in particular the unusual attachment bolts for the front plate. On the other hand, the helmet very strongly resembles the one pictured in the Ridabock, which is thought to be from the mid 1880s.

joerookery said:
That thing was a wreck at the show. I would not have wanted it in that state of repair but now… Well what a transformation. Great data also–that keeps us all looking great job Mark.
Horstman_Cover.jpg

Horstmann_Excerpt.jpg

Ridabock_Cover.jpg

Ridabock_Excerpt.jpg

Might another possibility be German Veteran associations? Immigration to the US was booming in the late 19th Century, and in our ...t...would you guys like to see some photos of that stuff?

I guess that is possible also if you look at the gift that was given it must have been hugely expensive–same as the helmets.

And yes please put some photos of that stuff on here!

Mark let everybody look at this up-close and personal at the show and tell during SOS. Of course it looked like garbage at that time. Mark really had to have a vision of this thing transformed. Very similar to the transformations JR 92 has done. Really was educational to hold this thing–and I mean thing–one of the great benefits of friendship in collecting. Mark got many sets of eyes and opinions and did a fantastic thing. Great job.

ahhhh your killing me. I saw it at the show really wanted it. Went to talk to the dealer he was busy waited, waited waited. Got a call I Had to take, walked out to the lobby walked back in and you had snagged it!!! Congratulations on the restoration job. Helmet looks fantastic.

VERY nice helmet and restoration job. Here is my officer's example that I would date to around 1870-80. Unlike many specimens I've encountered, this one is certainly all German-made, and still bears the original paper manufacturer's label inside. The cockade is the standard Prussian type, but I do also have an earlier cockade (c. 1850) that is red, white, and blue...

33lk0sw.jpg

2z4ygpy.jpg

Back