American Pickelhaube

THAT is a very cool helmet! There couldn't be too many of these kicking around. I recall seeing a very similar helmet on Joe's website. I thought that one might be unique, but I see there are at least two of these.

I was hoping somebody would post more of this ilk for comparison. Notice the similarities in the eagle between your helmet and mine. They are slightly different, but same basic idea.

Larmo said:
Very nice Mark, Laughlino strikes again.... :D

I wonder how WWI would've panned out if that had been accepted as part of our military's uniform. A lot of politics attached to headgear development and acceptance

Ron we did, around 1872-1874 for mounted troops and 1881 for foot (including the USMC), nothing as substantial as this one, mostly pressed wool felt with gilded brass trim. We dropped them around 1902 or so for the bell crown viosr. I agree 100% about the military fashion, after the 1871 victory and unification, lot's of folks wanted a pickelhaube for their armies.

Larry

Yes, those were very English in style. This one is very German, which was really my point... or opinion? :) Makes one wonder. Makes me think of the work the US did designing the M1 'steel pot', it took quite a while, since the Germans obviously had the best WWI design for a steel helmet.

:D Ron

I thought I'd follow up with a pic of the maker's label in my helmet- if anyone can provide more details I'd be grateful!

w7bq84.jpg

Guys, I was cruising the bag bay and found this http://cgi.ebay.com/CDV-2-American-Soldiers-w-1872-Pickelhaube-Mt-Holyoke-/320680671083?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaa0eb76b, pretty cool.

Larry

Larmo said:
Guys, I was cruising the bag bay and found this http://cgi.ebay.com/CDV-2-American-Soldiers-w-1872-Pickelhaube-Mt-Holyoke-/320680671083?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaa0eb76b, pretty cool.

Larry

Larry, What a great photo! I'm posting it here so we don't lose the link after it gets deleted from the eBay database.
MtHolyokeMilitiaPhoto.jpg

Back