American Spiked Helmet Help Needed

pzrwest

I have this very old American Spiked Helmet and would like some help on it. I would like to know the date worn, what unit it was worn by. Also I would like to know if I should restore it by getting a good replacent cork helmet body and transfer the metal fittings to the replacement helmet. I was once told it was an officers private helmet since it was lined and made of cork with a black cloth covering. Also any idea what it is worth in it's present condition. Alot of the cork body has been lost as it had been crushed sometime in the past. Here are pics of the helmet. I can supply pics of the interior if needed. Thank you in advance for any info and comments.... Harold

spikedhelmet-01.jpg

spikedhelmet-02.jpg

spikedhelmet-03.jpg

spikedhelmet-04.jpg

spikedhelmet-05.jpg

spikedhelmet-06.jpg

spikedhelmet-07.jpg

spikedhelmet-08.jpg

spikedhelmet-09.jpg

The body for this one actually looks more like a National Guard one than Army. Both the Army and various National Guard units, notably New York, wore this pattern of helmet. The helmets were worn with spikes as well as horsehair plumes.

I wouldn't really bother trying to replace the body, as for one thing I think a decent one will be hard to find. As the parts are metal and the bodies are cork, felt and leather the metal will survive longer. The parts are sometimes desirable as some helmets still have missing items. Honestly I'd just leave as it is as a display piece in rough but original shape.

The helmets with just spike and plate aren't worth that much to begin with, and the only really valuable ones are those with the plumes and cords.

I wonder what all the metal pieces be worth if I was to strip the helmet and sell them or just sell the helmet as a parts helmet?

pzrwest said:
I wonder what all the metal pieces be worth if I was to strip the helmet and sell them or just sell the helmet as a parts helmet?

I'd honestly just sell it as is, but it is likely a case where the parts are worth more than the sum. Someone who needs the rear chain hook would probably pay $10 or $20 for it, but you need to find the right buyer. The front plate is the same, $25 to $40, etc. If you sold everything to someone who needed it you'd get more money but you have to find the seller.

I have nicer examples so I'm not interested but I'd say throw it on eBay starting at $100 and see if anyone bites. I think it would be a shame to tear it apart when it is complete, even if in poor condition.

Back