An American Pickelhabe

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
I received this photo from a gentleman in the USA who thought this was a German uniform, but of course, it is US. I have read Joe's article on the American Pickelhaube, but could not get answers there. This is a superb photo of one, with the uniform. The question now, what unit, and when? I was hoping someone could ID the medals, as if for example they were GAR, then it would be at least post civil war. I suspect this photo was taken in the 1880s or 90s, which is around the time that these American spiked helmets are believed to have appeared in some militia units.

US_haube.jpg

I don't know much about U.S.A. uniforms of the late 19th Century, but just guessing, looking at the heavy German influence of the helmet, Litzen, tunic cuff, and shoulder scales, easily post 1871.

(OK, ready for a pummeling!). :p

Tony I think the guy that has the best handle on these is a Florida historian and author named Alex de Quesada. There has long been an article promised published by the Company of Military Historians. As this is an American only organization I don't have much interest in it currently but Alex got to the point where he had identified some of the militia units for instance the New Jersey Essex. When I had last talked to him he had never seen a photograph like this.

There was an auction several years ago that had been entire collection of these including an American Uhlan! If I find the references I will let you know. It is really murky and the only reference that I am aware of are some of the Indian war American helmet books. They have some glancing references and at least one picture.

Sorry I cannot add more -- I just don't do with the Company of Military Historians -- good folks but I get involved with the Society of Military Historians as they have embraced the arguments between Holmes, Herwig, and Zuber.

I forgot, one of the things I remember is that these units were often privately funded. The uniforms while grand, were not provided at state expense but rather by wealthy individuals who wanted to lead them. I'm sure this is a subset -- maybe.

joerookery said:
Tony I think the guy that has the best handle on these is a Florida historian and author named Alex de Quesada.

Thank you Joe, I actually have limited interest in this subject, I am just trying to help someone who contaced me, and he was kind enough to let me post this photo, which I believe you will agree, is very interesting. Could you provide me with any e-mail contacts? T

i'm wondering if this photo is of Fuger from the battle of Gettysburg a friend of mine was telling me about him when i was talking about ...what else , ...picklehaubes. Fuger was an artilleryman who played a key role in the Union victory there if i'm not mistaken he was awarded the Medal of Honor. My friend mentioned about the famous photo of him and his haub. I printed the photo out and can find out on saturday.

Back