An extremely rare Hessian Landsturm Shako

CLOVIS 57

I was offered a Shako earlier this year. In composite, its Bavarian plate was not suitable, and 2 holes had been drilled for the reception. When we put it down, we could observe the presence of 2 eyelets, whose position (wide and low) could only correspond to one front plate: the Lion of Hessian.
The particular position of the eyelets can also be observed on the Hessian helmets M95/14 or M15 with a "Prussian" point, (round base) supporting the Hessian lion. (see the last 2 pictures).
But as I did not know Shako Hessois... (no JB, or other Flieger etc...) I did some research in my archives.
I finally found a picture of the Hessisches Landsturm Infanterie Battalion "Friedberg", wearing such a Shako ... then a picture of a Hessian Shako found in a battle site excavation in France.

I still have to find a Feldzeichen...red and white...

Since then, it's in the shop window, with a rare front plate with a Hessian lion, but of Landwehr, whose fixings are perfectly adapted to the 2 eyelets.
Hesse Landwehr Shako.JPGHesse Lwr Oeillets Hessois.jpgHesse Landwehr.jpg
In fact, the Hessian Landsturm Shako, and the Landwehr spiked helmets should all have been equipped with the Lion with the Landwehrkreuz. But as these regiments were only planned in the mobilization plan, so in theory, at mobilization, there were not enough Landwehr plates available. Therefore, many Reserve, Landwehr or Landsturm regiments were equipped with the line plate.

Hesse Shako fouille Hartman.jpgLandwehr Hessois 1914.jpgHesse lwr Shako typ Prusse ¨M94.JPGHesse Lwr Shako Hessois.JPGHesse Lwr Shako coiffe Uffz.JPGHesse Landwehr Shako-.JPG

Attachments

• HesM14bombe prusse écartHes.JPG
    HesM14bombe prusse écartHes.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Hesse M15 Z2   2450€.jpg
    Hesse M15 Z2 2450€.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Hesse  Lwr  Oeillets Hesse.JPG
    Hesse Lwr Oeillets Hesse.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back