AN INTERESTING FIND

SHOOTEST

HERE IS A HELMET I FOUND A FEW WEEKS AGO AT A GARAGE SALE I THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE IT WITH YOU BECAUSE I FIND IT INTERESTING EVEN THOUGH IT IS NOT THAT RARE. THE EXTRA HOLE WAS NOT PUT THERE DURING MANFACTURING I GUESS SOMEONE WAS A GOOD SHOT.....AWFUL TO RUIN A GOOD HELMET !

interesting. I never find anything good at garage sales. I don't think anybody was wearing this when it was shot, because the bullet hole is clean going in and out... These helmets weren't (and aren't) always valued by their owners. What does the inside look like? Pretty rare plate though.

:D Ron

I got interested in Picklehaubes when a kid in school brought in one he found in the trash..

like there is nothing else in the world to shoot at
take an apple instead of a piece a history
its not al blown away ,still remains a nice garage find
congrats

jonas

You did very well.....the chin strap if original (looks good to me) alone is $200+. In addition, you have a slightly damaged rare helmet plate. If the rear visor is stamped to one of the Regts that wore this wappen then you have even more of a bonus! In all my 30+ years of searching I have only found one haube at a garage sale....a lowly Prussian M15 missing the spike top. IMO your helmet should be a keeper in your collection despite the damage. If there are markings, please post some pics.

b.loree said:
You did very well.....the chin strap if original (looks good to me) alone is $200+. In addition, you have a slightly damaged rare helmet plate. If the rear visor is stamped to one of the Regts that wore this wappen then you have even more of a bonus! In all my 30+ years of searching I have only found one haube at a garage sale....a lowly Prussian M15 missing the spike top. IMO your helmet should be a keeper in your collection despite the damage. If there are markings, please post some pics.

Great marking. Interesting, if it were JR 74 then that plate would be proper. However, according to the references JR 174 wore an ordinary infantry eagle....no Waterloo bandeau. Don't know whether you are aware. ....the bandeau honours were only given to those Regts who fought with the British against Napoleon's armies. 174 was founded in 1897 so no bandeau but it was part of the Kaiser's military build up which added to tensions and the subsequent war.

the bandeau honours were only given to those Regts who fought with the British against Napoleon's armies.

Brian, a little trivia – you might find that JR 88 was the other way around! :p

Both Medellin and Mesade Ibor were French victories in the Peninsula Campaign and they are both on the helmet plate for IR 88. What about Mars la Tour on HR 17's banner from the 1870 war, or many of the other honor banners from a wide spectrum of combat and victory?
I think the statement that the motto banners commemorate when the Prussians fought with the English is too general.
Jim

The whole thing was internal politics. It was an endeavor to bring the regiments of the former kingdom of Hanover closer to Prussia. There was an anti-Prussian GUELPH party in the Reichstag due to the poor treatment of the royalty. So the King of Prussia tried to placate them.

hannover.jpg

Obviously, both you two gentlemen are much more knowledgeable on the subject than I. I have not undertaken any in depth research on the matter, merely accepting the "generalist" view on the issue of bandeau to certain regiments.

b.loree said:
Great marking. Interesting, if it were JR 74 then that plate would be proper. However, according to the references JR 174 wore an ordinary infantry eagle....no Waterloo bandeau.

Hi Gents,

I do not agree [-X
"La Belle Alliance" wappen was only worn at the JR87. We do not have here a "Waterloo" wappen....
So I am wondering of this wappen being on a JR174 helmet :(

Philippe
:D

jimturinetti said:
The "La Belle Alliance" banner was worn on the helmet plates of both IR 87 and IR 88
Jim

[-X
The banner with only the motto "La Belle Alliance" (as shown on the picts above) was only worn at the JR87.
JR 88 had a different banner: "Mesa de Ibor- La Belle Alliance- Medellin", like that:

Philippe
:D

Back