An IR 75 pickelhaube for your appraisal

meme32

Dear members of the forum,

I am quite new on this forum and Pickelhaube is not my area of expertise, nevertheless I feel like I got the Pickelhaube virus a few weeks ago...the more I read, the more I found this topic so interesting and complex.
Would you please give me your view on this EM IR 75 Pickelhaube ?

For my not so trained eyes; it looks ok but....

Many thanks

IMG_7115.jpgIMG_7118.jpgIMG_7119.jpgIMG_7120.jpgIMG_7121.jpgIMG_7122.jpgIMG_7123.jpgIMG_7124.jpgIMG_7125.jpg

looks like a nice basic M95 Prussian helmet. The only issue I see is the white/Red kokarden is most likely Hessian and does not go with this helmet, easy fix you just need a Black/white Prussian one to put on.

James

I don’t see any issues with your helmet, nice to have an original chin strap on it. 👍

Welcome to the Forum Meme,
this is exactly how it starts with me ;)
The nut on the rear visor is not original too, but it’s easy to fix.

Thanks a lot.
From my limited knowmedge I think the White/red Kokarde is right since the IR 75 is the regiment from Bremen with Hanseatic traditions and it has this kokarde.

looks like a nice basic M95 Prussian helmet. The only issue I see is the white/Red kokarden is most likely Hessian and does not go with this helmet, easy fix you just need a Black/white Prussian one to put on.

James
James, you are correct.... but only for the 3rd battalion.
Battalions I and II of JR75 sported the white/red/white cockade.

Thanks everyone for your quick feedback !
So appartently I did right in purchasing that one, it is a nice unmessed M95 Prussian helmet from the IR 75 !
Good start and thanks for maling this forum, it is so great !

James, you are correct.... but only for the 3rd battalion.
Battalions I and II of JR75 sported the white/red/white cockade.
It would be here very important to check if you have here a stamp on your helmet (or other indications as a name tag or some handwriting of the wearer) showing I/75 or the indication of one of the 8 companies of the I and II/75. That would confirm this specific Bremen cockade only worn at the I and II/IR75.
Here is mine, with the rest of a name tag of the 3/75 and the stamps I.R.75 and underneath I.B.75 on the neckguard, that are usual for this special unit, also showing this very rare cockade.

I could track the wearer with help of rests of the letters on the name tag, he has been first mentionned as missing during the last massive german offensive day of two german divisions (17th and 18th), north of the river Aisne, on the 20.9.14 in Nampcel / Moulin sous Touvent / Autrêches and one year later mentionned as back in the Ersatz-Bataillon, probably after convalescence... Helmet found in France, so probably lost on the field during this terrible day. (Einjähriger Freiwilliger Gefreiter Robert Reinberg).

Philippe

bremen1.JPG

_A011462.JPG

bremen15b.JPG
bremen15d.JPG

Hello Argonne

Many thanks for your reply and th enice pictures of your helmet !
That' s so great to be able to have a name and to track history of the item! Amazing reasearch you have done ! It brings histroy back to life !

Below are some pictures of the visible stamps, as you can see; It is hard to read indications related to bataillon.

Kind regards

Attachments

• IMG_7179.jpg
    IMG_7179.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7180.jpg
    IMG_7180.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7181.jpg
    IMG_7181.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 16
Yes I do agree; it shows IR 75; but no way to know if it is I/II/III Bataillon...

Kind regards

Congratulations meme,
Looks like a nice IR 75 Pickelhaube to me 😀
Neither Kokarde is to my liking, but there are more experienced collectors on this forum than me.
Also like the view from your house 😉
Regards,
Lars

---Yes, the marking of the IR 75 is special. The company or battalion is always marked before the 75.
---No problem with the nut under the neck strap, it appeared in 1914.
---Sorry for the Landkokarde, it is clearly identified as a copy. Below, the new model, unpainted, and after painting (15€ on the Net).
Cordially

Attachments

• 75R M15 Brême Bibi.JPG
    75R M15 Brême Bibi.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • Copie type III.jpg
    Copie type III.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 9
  • CopieIII à voir     avec 0K Wurt.jpg
    CopieIII à voir avec 0K Wurt.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 9
  • vis de jonc ar. hexagonale.JPG
    vis de jonc ar. hexagonale.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 8
Congratulations on getting a very nice helmet on your first dive into the pool. A lot of people on their first purchase get burned with a made up helmet, an Indian junk replica, or a rusting rotted helmet dug up out of a ditch. In my opinion if the Kokarden are good or bad, it really doesn’t matter. What matters is you have a nice helmet in very good condition.

Hi Tony

Many thanks for your kind words. Coming from you, these words are very valuable for me ! I am a big fan of you website that I have read many times ! Thanks all members for your warm welcome and kind words.

Back