An old mystery solved

drakegoodman

Anyone visiting Tony's article on the The Pickelhaube Überzug with any regularity (that'd be me :wave:) will recognise the following Überzug mysteriously bearing the letters "MD".

Recently I managed to procure the following example, complete with a stamp on reverse from Leichte Munition Kolonnen D. 1. Landwehr Feldartillerie Abteilung 10th Armee Korps.

No idea what the "D" stands for though :-k

Grüss aus Ostende / M.D. Überzug by drakegoodman, on Flickr

Grüss aus Ostende reverse by drakegoodman, on Flickr

Seems to be quite convincing. However I am wondering now what the differences are, as according to Kraus, J. (1999) Die feldgraue Uniformierung des deutschen Heeres 1907-1918 .Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück:

,The Feldartillerie (Field Artillery) and the Fußartillerie (Foot Artillery) Überzug worn by the ammunition supply columns, were marked with Roman Numerals.

As the ammunition supply columns were an Armee-Korps resource, the Roman Numerals reflected the Armee-Korps, in this case, Munitions-Kolonnen XIII Armee-Korps.

uberzug_14.jpg

So there must be some subtle difference?

:violent3: :violent3: :violent3:

This is acute postcard envy [APE] at its very worst–brings out the worst in people–congratulations fantastic card… But

As the ammunition supply columns were an Armee-Korps resource, the Roman Numerals reflected the Armee-Korps, in this case, Munitions-Kolonnen XIII Armee-Korps.

Tony has a point–somehow I got the impression–I do not remember how–that this is for munitions depot–I also got the mistaken impression that this was prewar. Either way you are really onto something here! :fart: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

For what it's worth (which is probably nothing) it occurs to me that 'MD' in Roman numerals = 1500. I know nothing about numbering, but this seems way too big a number to refer to any sort of unit?

Patrick

Hows about Marine-Division? the 1. Landwehr Feldartillerie Abteilung was a component of that Division from its formation in August 1914. The Division was only in existance until 28 November 1914.

Regards
Glenn

Seems like I am a bit late on this one, just shot Tony an e-mail regarding this photo a few minutes ago, lol, Never mind!

Glennj said:
Hows about Marine-Division? the 1. Landwehr Feldartillerie Abteilung was a component of that Division from its formation in August 1914. The Division was only in existance until 28 November 1914.

Regards
Glenn

Looks like Glenn is on to something, found this on GWF:

This is a part of a text for my english version of my book Marinekorps Flandern :

THE COMPOSITION OF THE 3 MARINEDIVISIONS

As already mentioned, there were 3 Marine Divisions at the Belgian coast. The composition of these unit’s is already interesting to take a look at…

Marinekorps Flandern

1e MARINEDIVISION

Established 29 November 1914

On the 12th of December the same year, this was the composition :

- Marine Infanterie Brigade with the Marine Infanterie Regimente 1 en 2.
- 1e Marine Brigade with the 1e Matrosen Regiment, 1e Matrosen Artillerie Regiment.
- 2e Marine Brigade with the 1e Landwehr Eskadron van het X Armee Korps,
1e Landwehr Feld Artillerie Abteilung of the X Armee Korps and the
2e Marine Pionier Kompagnie, and also the 2e Matrosen Regiment and
2e Matrosen Artillerie Regiment.

I think MARINE DIVISION is a very good bet.

His right hand looks odd.He has something on his thumb, which looks like what is known in the UK as a 'finger stall', a device which protects and keeps clean a dressing. He also seems to be holding what looks like a cigar ( not very military) in an odd grip. Possibly some device to set/protect an injury or wound?

Nothing to do with unit identification, but had me puzzled!

Patrick

Glennj said:

Regards
Glenn

Sir, you are rapidly entering the realms of "Oracle" status. Fantastic work.

George - excellent follow-up. Many thanks.

- Brett

Brett

Sir, you are rapidly entering the realms of "Oracle" status. Fantastic work.

You are too kind!! The location of the photograph being on the Flanders Coast had me thinking Marine-Division.

Just to clarify the statement about the Marine-Division only being in existance until 28 November; with the formation of the Marine-Korps, the original Marine-Division became the 1. Marine-Division.

Regards
Glenn

Nice 1883 set-up Tony, love the holster..I have an 1879 & 1883 example in the collection but no holsters. I had an 1883 holster but sold it before I knew what it was ](*,) ](*,) Research, research and then more research

Larry

Without some research, one would never guess that an army artillery unit would be connected with a naval division. There were Matrosen Artillerie units, but perhaps this early in the war the establishment of these units had not caught up with expansion of the naval infantry units and thus, army units were substituted.

By any standards that has to be a rare cover.

Chip

For pictures of graves of the Marine Korps Flandern, made at the Deutscher Soldatenfriedhof Vladslo, Belgium, click on http://pierreswesternfront.punt.nl/?id=412202&r=1&tbl_archief=& .

Hi all,

The FAR 47 postcard I posted the other day is addressed to someone with this division:

Wehrmann
Kirchhoff
Marinekorps
1. Marine Division
1. Landwehr Feldartillerie-Abteilung

In case this is of some interest or use, wanted to bring this to your attention. :)

Daniel

No idea what the "D" stands for though

I just stumbled over this thread. I think D stands for "der" which is a common abbreviation, particularly because it is printed a bit smaller. "Leichte Munition Kolonne der 1. Landwehr Feldartillerie Abteilung"

Robert,

I think D stands for "der" which is a common abbreviation, particularly because it is printed a bit smaller.

With respect, I think that is totally implausible. Notwithstanding the lack of any precedent for such an abbreviation on an helmet cover, the abbreviation for "der" is written in lower case.

Regards
Glenn

The 1. Marine Division was created at 24-08-1914. The 2. M.D. was created at 24-11-1914.
On 29-11-1914 was the creation of the Marinekorps Flandern, also called Gruppe Nord. These units were stationed along the Belgian coast.
In 1917 the 3rd M.D. was created from units fighting until then in France, to defend the front and the coast in Belgium.
Supreme commander of the Korps was Admiral Ludwig von Schroeder, having his headquarters Brugge.
The Korps existed of units of Marine infantry regiments ( a.o. Elite Seebataillone), Marine Artilleriie units, Feldartillerie units, and sailor regiments, Matrosen Regimente.
Source the reliable Belgian author: Eddy Lambrecht in his book "Gruss aus Flandern!".
For me M.D. means Marine Division.
This guy could have belonged to one of the Artillery units, naval, or Feldartillerie units.

Back