An original IR 92 officer's pickelhaube

Adler

It all started with a phone call… from Germany. It was one of my German friends with a really unexpected question: Are you still interested in a nice IR 92? Of course the answer was „YES!“ I had been looking for one of these for about a hundred years or so!
Arrangements were made and a couple of days later I had to drive a few hundred km to meet my friend… but who cares about driving half a day when a man’s dream comes out?
After a few strong coffees (to prevent shaking) it took me more than an hour to check everything out while my heart was pounding in my throat… but everything was what I expected to see on an original IR 92!
The helmet plate fits correctly to the leather body, no extra holes in the helmet body or eagle, the correct FUERST bandeau has the extra curled ends as it should, the center of the eagle doesn’t have FR under the skull. The skull with femures and Peninsula bandeau still has a lot of silverwash. It’s stamped (not cast) and is super detailed.
The Braunschweig kokarde has the correct dark cornflower blue colour with golden ring and the spike is removable to fit a hairbush.
As a little bonus, this pickelhaube isn’t just an „ordinary“ officer’s model, it belonged to Herzog Johann Albrecht, who was the regent of the Duchy of Braunschweig from 1907 till 1913. His golden monogram on the liner confirms this. The linerband is made of extra thin luxury leather and the visor and neckguard have a high luxury finish.
Oh man… what a rush it was to take this beauty home!
Together with this pickelhaube, there was something else, but I’ll post that item later… to keep things exciting of course.
Enjoy the pictures gentlemen!

Adler

Karel,

AAAARRRGGGGHHHHH !

J a w d r o p p i n g !!

Thank you for sharing.

And...you are right !
Better wait to show us the rest.
Let us drool for a while.

OK fine ! Game over.
I filled the bucket-come up with the rest now.
:army:

Francis

Congratulation =D>

That is really one of the true gems in pickelhaube collecting. It looks awsome.

Can't wait to see what else you have to post :)

Congratulation =D>

That is really one of the true gems in pickelhaube collecting. It looks awsome.

Can't wait to see what else you have to post :)

Congratulations =D>

That is in my opinion one of the most beautiful pickelhaubes.

A deserving centerpiece in an already impressiv collection.

Can´t wait to see what else you have to post :)

Congratulations, that is one killer helmet. Text book perfect! The liner is amazing, I have never seen that stitched in monogram before. Yes we seem to be having problems. I have emailed our tech support.

Good lord, that is one amazing pickelhaube.

Is it too gauche to ask a rough, ballpark figure of how much it cost you? (I totally understand if you'd rather keep that private.)

Thank you very much for your multipple comments gentlemen! I hope the website is fine again :p ...

OK fine ! Game over.
I filled the bucket-come up with the rest now.
Ok guys, I will post the other item very soon, just wanted to keep your spirits up... I think you will enjoy it also...

Is it too gauche to ask a rough, ballpark figure of how much it cost you? (I totally understand if you'd rather keep that private.)
Yes Bungo, it's to gauche as you say yourself :-" ... It wasn't cheap, but you know that already of course...

Here is a picture of duke Johann Albrecht wearing this haube... If someone has other or better pictures of the duke wearing this helmet, please feel free to post them here.

Adler

Adler said:
Yes Bungo, it's to gauche as you say yourself :-" ... It wasn't cheap, but you know that already of course...

I suspected you might say something like that! :wink:

Really an exceptional piece, I imagine some museums out there would have liked to snap this up. Congrats.

Karel,

What a gem! Not only the helmet but the story. I have a picture of this guy but not wearing the helmet unfortunately.

The Braunschweig kokarde has the correct dark cornflower blue colour with golden ring

We have talked about this before and I think inconclusively. Clearly yours is more high-end than mine. I am starting to believe that perhaps a cheaper cockade was or turned into a lighter color and also had a ring that could flake off the gold color. I think the old Ruhl manual has the lighter color. You're certainly has the preferred method or preferred color. What a wonderful find!

WOW, ABSOLUTELY DROP-DEAD GORGEOUS!!! :love10: This has to be the nicest example of an IR 92 Officer Haube in existance! Simply amazing! :eek: :bravo: :cheers: :salute:

Congratulations, Karel, this helmet certainly found a great home to reside in! :notworthy: :eek:ccasion5:

All the Best,

Alan

dpeng

Back