An Uberzug with a story 100 years ago today

Das158er

I am revisiting this post to mark the 100th anniversary of Leutnant Stoebers death today in Belgium 1914
My first Pickelhaube was a 158 regt. Helmet and this has given me an unhealthy
Obsession with the regiment ever since.
So when an officers uberzug appeared on ebay a couple of years ago I had to bid
On it. Now my German is very bad so all I knew from the description was that the
Cover was some how marked as having belonged to the 158 regt.
Luckily I won it and when it arrived all was reviled the cover had a name label sown
On the inside Leutnant STOEBER 12th Kompanie 7 Lothring inf. regt. 158.
Intrigued I wanted to find out more so I searched the internet and found a copy of the
Regimental history.
When it came there he was, the book had a photo! I searched the pages of the book and found he was the first officer of the regiment to be killed on 24th August 1914.
A friend offered to try to translate some of the book for me and found that Stoeber
Along with two cyclists from the regiment went on patrol in the Belgian village of
Solre sure Sambre, the men must have split up and Stoeber was never seen again.
The Regiment searched for him but he could not be found, it was assumed that
Locals had killed him and hid the body.
The regimental history states that a comrade went back to the village later in the war
And found his grave in the local cemetery. His body was later moved to the cemetery
At Langermarck.
Last year I had the opportunity to go over to Belgium and visit the place of his death-I was armed with a leaflet that I had translated into French with a plea for information about Stoeber. Now as you can imagine all my friends thought I had no chance of getting any feedback and I must admit I was doubtful but I posted them at the church and cemetery.
After a couple of months I gave up hope-and then seven months later I had a letter!
It was from a local historian Rene Bayet and his research was beyond my expectations
finally I the truth about Stoeber’s death not only that but I had the name of
The man who killed him!!!! this is what I received:

Extract 1

“The night of August 24, 1914, a German officer is killed by the Sambre bridge.
He wanted to prevent the bridge being blown up.
(ext or) About the German officer death related by Mr DE BACKER, a different version of the facts has been told by Mr Arielle THOMAS and then Mr Noël HARDY.
They were respectively 10 & 9 years old at this time. These two people gave us exactly the same story about this death.
“The officer would have been killed by a village inhabitant with a spade but to avoid any reprisals against the population, it has been imputed to French soldiers. Even a name was given: Hector RENAUD.

Extract 2

15TH August 1915 a officer of the navy accompanied by the wife of the German officer buried in Solre cemetery came to visit him. They want to know how he has been killed, what happened before and after his death, they want to know if he suffered, of which I have nothing to say because I don’t know anything.”

So Hector Renaud did poor old Stoeber with a spade! Yuk!!
I am guessing that my uberzug was a spare that was either in Stoeber’s baggage and
Returned home after his death or one that was left in Germany, though it does have a funny stain up one side!
I think the most interesting thing about collecting is being able to research the history
Of an item and sometimes you get lucky!
With thanks to Glenn Jewison for helping me with Stoeber’s pre war career details.
My cousins wife Nathalie for her French translation.
My friend Richard Keep who tirelessly puts up with my German translating.
And to Rene Bayet who gave me the final piece of my jigsaw.

st2gv3.jpg

st1ml7.jpg

stoeberzb2.jpg

This is a fun wonderful piece of research! Nicest private purchase Uberzug I have seen. This incident is not listed in the book by Horne and Kramer. The 24th was one of the worst days for German atrocities but none are attributed to the 158th infantry Regiment according to the book. I think there is something a little bit off on the map -- the bridge is not exactly in that town is it? Is there a map in the regimental history? Where/how did this guy get his commission? I agree research is fun!

Hi Joe
Yes the bridge is in the town, there are two crossings over the Sambre one each side of the village,
Stoeber would have been killed on the west side of the village.
It was only members of 12th Komp that went to look for Stoeber, I think the regiment was on the
Move and no reprisals were taken, they went into a skirmish at a place called Fontaine Valmont
That day and crossed into France the Day after.
There is a map in the Regimental history I followed the route exactly when I went over.
I will sort out my info on Stoeber’s pre war career, I don’t have them to hand .
Just another point do you think Stoeber would have gone to the village on horseback? I cant see
Any other way !
Cheers Stu Das158er

Hi Joe
Woops
The skermish was not at Fontaine Vlmont It was at Leers Et Fosteau
Never drink and drive a computer!!!!!!!!!!!
Stu

This is the wonderful learning experience! Volume 1 of the Reichs archive details this action a little bit. What is interesting is that the relative importance of towns change. When I asked about the bridge the modern map on Google maps did not show it. When you go to the earlier source -- bingo. For those who don't want to look it up infantry Regiment 158 was part of 13th division VII Corps in the second Army. This first map will show where they were just on the seam of the BEF and the French. The town where the guy was killed was the objective of the division on the 24th. And the 14th division was aimed at a town named Stree which is not even on Google maps but is a significant place on the older map. Somewhere between the two objectives there was a fort which held up the 13th.
158_23aug1914_1.jpg

158_600.jpg

Reference pages 403 and 404.

Another interesting thing is that the first artillery shots of the war were fired by the BEF from Bray, the 158 regiment were in a village called Peronnes and I am sure on the reciving end of thease shots.
Ulans scouting for the 158ers were killed as a result of the sooting.
Some reprisals were taken out on the villagers of Peronnes.
Das158er

A fascinating story! Congratulations. By coincidence, I also own the Uberzug of an officer who was the first one in his regiment killed in WW1, on... August 21st, 1914. He was Reserve Leutnant Albrecht, in 26th Dragoner. The platoon he was heading encountered a detachment of French cuirassiers in Rixinger Wald (today, foret de Rechicourt in Lorraine). I do not have only the Uberzug but also the spike helmet, (broken) sword and one of the spurs he wore when he was killed. He is buried in Stuttgart.
Bruno

Exceptional story and a fantastic uberzug!!! Some guys have horse shoes. The closest I can come, is a JR 58 officer uberzug with stenciled numbers. Please post pics of this piece on our uberzug thread. Brian

Stu,

This is great research! The helmets and uniforms etc are great, but when you find a connection or a name or a unit it really brings the piece to life. And I think the research is nearly as much fun as the satisfaction of hunting down a great helmet or uniform.

here are some links to some of my 'research projects'. The challenge is always unique.

Mike

http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3465&highlight=

http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3445&highlight=

http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3390&highlight=
http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3310&highlight=

http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2906&highlight=

A bit more info on Stoeber, he joined the 158 Regt. In April 1903 as a Musketier
With prospects for promotion, He became a Fahnrich in Jan. 1904 and an Leutnant
With Patent in Oct. 1904
I have included the map from the regimental history showing the movements of the
13th and 158 Regts. The red tinted areas show encounters with the British and French
Green is to route taken and the red X is were Stoeber was killed.
If anyone can help with any further info or pics of Stoeber I would be very grateful.

158140063xp3.jpg

911car said:
A fascinating story! Congratulations. By coincidence, I also own the Uberzug of an officer who was the first one in his regiment killed in WW1, on... August 21st, 1914. He was Reserve Leutnant Albrecht, in 26th Dragoner. The platoon he was heading encountered a detachment of French cuirassiers in Rixinger Wald (today, foret de Rechicourt in Lorraine). I do not have only the Uberzug but also the spike helmet, (broken) sword and one of the spurs he wore when he was killed. He is buried in Stuttgart.
Bruno

Hi Bruno would love to see some photos of your Leutnant Albrecht items
Cheers Stu

he joined the 158 Regt. In April 1903 as a Musketier
With prospects for promotion, He became a Fahnrich in Jan. 1904 and an Leutnant
With Patent in Oct. 1904

Maybe Mike Dwyer can determine his schooling. Something is not straight did he perhaps fail a test at a cadet school and was sent to a regiment? That happened. Otherwise he should've been a Fahnenjunker.

I love this research -- I went back through all the links that Mike posted. And I agree we should do the same thing with Bruno's stuff. This is fascinating! Don't leave that Uberzug out anywhere or I would be tempted to buy it. What a gem!

Hi Joe
If I could clone Stoeber’s Uberzug I would send you a copy.
I am very interested by the comments you make about Stoeber
and his career what would be the usual promotion/education
process and what is the difference between a Fahnenjunker
And Fahnrich.
Cheers Stu Das158er

Stu,

Though I have come very far from when I wrote this article, this should give you some idea. I really have done a whole bunch more but it is sunk in my tome somewhere.

http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/CadetArticle.htm

The real issue is source of commission. Based on his name and regiment he is probably not nobility. The whole concept of Fahnenjunker changed well really just the name did and it was a method for the bourgeois to get an active commission. The cadet school just could not keep up with the demand.

There were failures. In the year 1878 eight cadets failed the exam. All eight eventually were made Fähnrich and six of them earned their commission. Manfred von Richtofen, the Red Baron, failed the examination and was sent to the 1st Ulan Regiment as an Unteroffiziere. Eight months later he was made a Fähnrich and eventually was commissioned. This put his date of rank behind his classmates of 1911.

I also own the Uberzug of an officer who was the first one in his regiment killed in WW1, on... August 21st, 1914. He was Reserve Leutnant Albrecht, in 26th Dragoner. The platoon he was heading encountered a detachment of French cuirassiers in Rixinger Wald (today, foret de Rechicourt in Lorraine). I do not have only the Uberzug but also the spike helmet, (broken) sword and one of the spurs he wore when he was killed. He is buried in Stuttgart.
Bruno
albtrecht.jpg

ashtray.jpg

266drhistory.jpg

a_page.jpg

Okay I have to admit I want this stuff! Now this is really interesting -- the 26 Dragoon Regiment was part of the seventh cavalry division HKK3. Even though it is listed in most places as being in XIII Corps the mobilization plans put it in HKK-3 supporting sixth Army in Lorrain. I cannot find the woods on the map. I have the position of the seventh cavalry division on the night of 20 August. I have a track of the first Bavarian reserve Corps the following day but I do not have a direct location of the patrol. Maybe there is a map in the unit history? This was part of the pushback against the French in Lorraine so this probably was on the German side of the border.

About that absolutely wonderful helmet is there any motto on the Landwehr cross?

Bruno offered to put all other pictures if you need them -- I for 1 am salivating

Yes Joe, these woods were on the german side: Rixinger Wald. I went there once (foret de Rechicourt). I could spot the place for you on the map of Lorraine. No, there is no motto on the Reserve cross. You have noticed the Manoverband on one side of the Uberzug. His name is handwritten inside the helmet. He was an engineer in peace time. With the same lot from the family came a painting of him in uniform but it was too big and I could not take it. Now I regret...
Bruno

Picture%201204.jpg

Picture%201205.jpg

Here is the map of the organization. The dark blue lines represent the position of the units on 20 August. The seventh cavalry division was just behind the first Bavarian reserve Corps. Their mission seems to have been one of flank guard to the neighboring seventh Army. Where are these woods?

lorraine.jpg

Back