Announcement of the death of Rittmeister Eduard Ziegler

Gustaf

Staff member
In this letter, Schwester Ada tells of how her husband was killed during a bomb attach on his aerodrome, he had landed and the bomb exploded severing an artery in his neck, killing him quickly, also mortally wounded were his Adjudant and Staffelführer, a friend in Norway has traced down the name of the pilot, Rittmeister Eduard Ziegler, the other two were Günther von Oertzen and Leo Felden. A photograph of Günther von Oertzen can be viewed at this site.
http://www.frontflieger.de/3oergu0t.html
This is a fairly devent translation for those who could not read the German version posted in the period photo section, I thought this might be a better venue, as I have no photos to go with this letter other than the one found on line of his observer.

6. August 1918
Dear little Hans!
At last you will say, I hear something again from Sister Ada, and with good reason. I could not postpone this letter forever, as it brings you sad news. Yes dear Little Hans, often I can not yet believe that my ardently loved husband has fallen for his fatherland and now never, never will come to me again. On the 20th of April in the night at 2:30 in the morning he came back from a flight over the enemy at Amiens-Compiegne and had already landed with his 2 men and they had a detailed discussion about the passed flight, that they returned to their airfield despite engine problems, when suddenly an enemy bomb hit the aircraft and all three men were mortally wounded. As the motor was still running, they did not hear the enemy flyer above them. My beloved husband, God be thanked, lived for no more than 5 minutes as the right artery in his neck was severed, and he met his death very fast. So he hopefully endured very little pain and he was not aware of his fate. On his deathbed, he looked infinitely peaceful, as though he had only gone to sleep, not a bit out of place or painful. That for me, with all the difficulty, is a small comfort that he quickly slipped to the other side. It was unthinkable for him to know as he was so badly injured and only had minutes, that it would have tormented him. If he had to go, one would wish a quick death, as a hunter would also wish for his prey. The Adjudant and Staffel leader lived until midday and suffered the most terrible pain and despite operations, died anyway. The poor men! I wouldn’t and couldn’t believe the news, there my husband looked so safe and happy, and myself, all in fear of accident. And now it has happened. In the midst of his loved activity, true to his Fatherland to his last breath, he endured his hero’s death. Once again he would get the best of luck in part on earth, and even how happy he was to look forwards to see, at the beginning of May-April, our own home, and have a proper home vacation. Instead of this, he returns still and mute to his hometown, where now he rests forever from all his great work and results. First, the three men were buried in Suise (Petite Suise in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg?) there the medical quarantine was met. But they were quickly exhumed, and then I think that also the German Crown Prince has used (his influence) for that, who sent me such a wonderful telegram , and spoke his condolences for the great man whose services he would always honour. My dear husband had just five days ago been with the Crown Prince and had to tell him much about Italy (the Italian front?). On the 15th of May there was the grand funeral in our family tomb, where he as the youngest rests with his dear parents. It was an incredibly difficult time for me and now after all the travels, one finds here in one’s lonely household again twice the pain. It is often too much for a human being (literally a human child) and still one can often not believe that now all the great happiness has suddenly become so utterly destroyed and that he will never come back – I must endure the pain, but it is almost too much. Your dear letter with your exciting image, for which I thank you most greatly, reached me at the estate of my brother in law where I came for 14 days of quiet and restitution. After that I was about four weeks in Bansin (Ostsee) where I have rested quite well bodily. The air was so powerful and bathing in the cold sea was very refreshing. Now I am back home and have a lot of writing to do because of the testament. As well as still having to keep up with the housekeeping etc, which now sadly has become more difficult. Finally I had many visits from my relatives and I am always happy when I am not always alone and must eat. Otherwise I am fine. My brother has just become a lieutenant with the field artillery regiment number 9 and hopes finally in September, after a year, to go on leave. Where are you hiding? You are probably back with your company. I hope my letter will get to you still. May good still befall you in the future. Keep your ears open. (be/stay brave, do not fear)
With the friendliest greetings your old comrade thinks about you often.
Sister Ada.

Johannes Mäuer was a member of the 96th Regiment, and was wounded on the 19th of November 1914, I have to assume that he met Schwester Ada in Lazarett in Magdaburg (This assumption is supported by a comment in a later letter).

Fabulous post Gustaf - many thanks for taking the time to translate the letter for us - but what a miserable way to go for a veteran of 400 missions.

- Brett

Hey Brett,
Am I missing something, or do you have some other information on Rtm. Ziegler? How do you come to 400 missions? I have been only able to find information on his observer, Günther von Oertzen.
Best
Gus

Gustaf said:
Hey Brett,
Am I missing something, or do you have some other information on Rtm. Ziegler? How do you come to 400 missions? I have been only able to find information on his observer, Günther von Oertzen.
Best
Gus

Gus,

My bad. I was reading the von Oertzen bio :oops: . Delete reference my friend.

- Brett

No Brett,
My bad, I some how missed that in von Oertzen's bio, I was too focused on Rtm. Ziegler. 400 missions was quite an accomplishment, and your first post is rather fitting, it is a what a miserable way to go for a veteran of 400 missions.

Gus

Hey Otto,
I had this letter for several years before I took the trouble to read it, I knew that it was a death announcement due to the black boarder, but Ada's script was different from the others I had read, and it took three letters to be able to read hers well. There are several capital letters that she uses the same letter (G and S for example)
Ada met Johan Mäuer in Lazeratt after he was wounded in battle near Lodz poland in 1914, and she continued to communicate with him after the war.
Best
Gus

Back