Another Bavarian Schirmmutze

If you look closely at the photo above, you can see that the old “repair “ has displaced the right hand corner of the fibre visor. I am going to have to cut out all of the repair threads and start from square one.

The previous "restorer" was obviously not very handy with a needle and thread. Looking forward to seeing how you save this one!

So much for this one being much easier, on a positive note it's a fibre visor which I'm praying will be at least much easier to work with. 🙏

Back from the SOS...time to get down to work on this cap. All that old thread seen above, has to be cut out and disposed of.
IMG_2362 2.jpeg
Visor removed.
IMG_2365.jpeg
The more typical fibre visor.
IMG_2368.jpeg
The visor is then pinned into proper position ready for stitching. My usual formula of counting the total number of stitch holes in order to find the central one did not work for some reason. The distance between the visor tip and the side button must be the same on both ends. This toook me 3 tries to get the visor ends in the correct position relative to the strap button. However, everything must be done correctly! One last thing, which may seem obvious.....always wash your hands before working on these "cloth objects"! It is another sunny day here in Florida and perfect for stitching! :) 👍
IMG_2366.jpeg
IMG_2373.jpeg
Ugh!! This is like sticking your hand into the mouth of a Dune sand worm! :(

Last edited:
Finished!
IMG_4537.jpeg
IMG_4538.jpeg
On the third try I did get the visor ttips equidistant from the strap buttons.
IMG_4540.jpeg
The stitch line is not perfect but it will be hidden by the chin strap. You are actually stitching through 3 layers of material here...the sweat band, visor and the feldgrau wool exterior. I will be mailing this out to you tomorrow John.

Back