Another "F" marking SOS

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
We found this at the SOS marked on a Prussian M15. Gus now owns the helmet. If you look closely, you can see both a capital F and lower case f as well. A very nice piece with original chin strap. Congrats Gus! Brian

LouisvilleTrip049.jpg

How about adding this "F" mark to the mix, located on the stock of a Gew 88, just below the lower sling swivel mount .

Geo

g88z3gv.jpg

Joe- the Noll book is full fo F marks, but like you said manily on weapons.

In the Center of the book is a regamental marking section:

It has 2 examples of the F.

One states it as fusilier Regiment

the other as Flieger-Bataillon

James

Joe
I don't have the Noll book, was hoping to jog some one's memory perhaps. I believe these marks are similar also.

Geo

Joe: I don't believe the "F" stamped into the toe of the stock on your Gew. 88 has anything to do with a regimental marking. The regimental marking, if present, should be stamped into the side of the barrel band. The regimental marking will be a series of numbers and/or letters separated by periods. The regimental marking will normally identify the specific regiment, company, and inventory number of the weapon within the regiment.

I will try to research the meaning of the F in the stock.

Reservist1

I do not believe F has anything to do with Regimental markings either. I do believe there are similarities between the marks on weapons and pickelhauben.

Geo

8)

Back