Another Group for Otto...

dave mosher

Otto

Here goes another one of your seven lives...

This grouping for Lt. Frhr. Harry Paratestes of the 1. Badisches Leib-Grenadier Rgmt. Nr. 109....

Hi Dave,
Thanks, only 5 lives now. Great grouping!
pickelhaube5nv.gif
Otto

Dave,
I am going to have to visit your collection, even if you have to blind fold me, drug me and dump me at a rest stop in New Jersey.
Gus
PS I will even ride in the trunk with out whimpering

Dave, another beautiful grouping. Do you have your collection on display or safely locked away?

At this rate Otto's not going to be with us for much longer.

The story is that Paratestes was a very brave boy early in the war when in early 1915, under a limited smoke screen, he routed out a hundred or so frenchmen from their front line trenches using a large steel Svingen (sp?) (It actually later became his nickname), but had to fallback when the smoke cleared. He was awarded the EK1 personally from Friedrich II, Granduke of Baden. Paratestes is to the back row on the right of the Granduke....

Dave,
I know nothing of uniforms and only a little about helmets but how do you know whose uniform it is? Is there a name in it? Is that normal?

Joe

The grouping came straight from the last standing Paratestes family member, whom I met at a local show. The story goes that after the war, a large bunch of Paratestes emigrated from the Lower Bolsak region of Baden to Pennsylvania, where a large german-speaking population was located. Harry became quite a lout and a gambler (and poor one at that), and a local family friend, Jaques von Strapp, had to cover his "private" indescretions, for a time. Harry continued to hang out with a bad set and Jaques could no longer provide cover and protection for the Paratestes. With no outside means of support, Harry and the rest of the Paratestes were hung out to dry, and ultimately shrunk to obscurity.

It's sad but true......

Dave

I would offer you $100 cash money for the grouping but with such a great provenance yo will probable pass on that small frtune for sentimental reasons. Thanks for the story, The gambling seems to have been a wide spread vice.

Dave would only take that offer if his brain was very very badly damaged... he stll wouldn't.

Gambling. I've done a bit on the German Officer corps. Fascinating stuff. These guys were poor as a group and gamblig was a major ... patime. I really recommend a "novel" written By Lt Bilse that got banned in Germany and Bilse courtmartialled. The English gobbled it up and published it. So pretty available in English. I think it was a book about the 14th Train Battalion. Look here
http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/GarrisonTown.htm

Hey Joe,
Dave will not let me with in 30 miles of his collection, so that pretty much rules out brain damage.
Gus

Hello Folks.....

Ok.. I think it is time to re-read this wonderful thread that was created by Mr. Mosher... This time.. in the correct context...... and you better empty your bladder first.. otherwise it will be time to change the undies....

1) "Harry Paratestes" = Harry 'pair of testes"
2) "..large steel Svingen .." = Swinging
3) "(It actually later became his nickname), "... = Swinging pair of testes
4) "Paratestes is to the back row on the right of the Granduke....
".... there is NO ONE behind to the right of the Duke...
5) "Jaques von Strapp" = Jock Strap

I don't think I have laughed this hard in a long.. long time...... :D

Dave...... this does prove one thing.... you have waaaaay too much free time...

Cheers and thanks for the great laugh !!

Mark

Hello Boys.....

Nice to be back...... 8)

With two small boys......there just doesn't seem to be much time for anything these days......... But I sneak in a little hobby here and there when I can ...

AND....... I'm planning the SOS this year.. so ..... :D

Cheers
Mark

Mark:

As Harry said to Jaques in a house of ill repute, "I fear my cover is blown!!..." Glad you dropped by and I'll see you at the SOS.

Dave

Maybe we can lure Gus and then visit maggie at the yard and raiise ransom sale.
Mark G. :greentank:

Back