Another M15 Kurassier

Congrats Bruno, that is a great example. I think I have only seen a picture of one other and it was not in the great condition you have here! Merry Christmas Bruno and thank you for your numerous posts and photos over the years. You have made a significant contribution to the success of our forum. Brian

Many thanks Tony, Brian and others for the nice words. It has been a renewed pleasure to visit the forum - and contribute whenever possible - in these years. Without a doubt a unique combination of expertise and friendliness.
Regarding the helmet I may stress the particularities that distinguish it from its prussian homolog:
- Two-part detachable spike
- Small rivet below the larger one that attaches the front visor
- Side posts with round indexes
- Rear spine (not visible here)
And this one is of course marked to Osang, Dresden, the maker.
I will make better pictures with no flash, which is kind of hard to metal helmets.
Unfortunately this one has lost most of its pewter gray paint on the spike and basis. I still decided to buy it when given the opportunity, since the chance you'll find the same one at your local fleamarket is relatively remote.
Merry Christmas!

Dragoner08 said:
An extremely rare piece in fantastic condition. Can you adjust a picture from the inside ?

Regards Dragoner08

Here you go, DR8. Coir has been stuffed between the inner padding and the liner, probably by the soldier for added comfort or better fit (looks very old). This makes the liner look thicker than usual.

I agree with your initial statement, Bruno, not the usual eagle for a wappen. This is certainly a problem and it would be best if you rid yourself of this non-eagle type right away. I'd be willing to offer you a few dollars, or even Euros for this travesty. :wink:
Seriously, I can't improve on what anybody else has said, a superb find and I'd bet it looks great in your collection!

:D Ron

poniatowski said:
I agree with your initial statement, Bruno, not the usual eagle for a wappen. This is certainly a problem and it would be best if you rid yourself of this non-eagle type right away. I'd be willing to offer you a few dollars, or even Euros for this travesty. :wink:
Seriously, I can't improve on what anybody else has said, a superb find and I'd bet it looks great in your collection!

:D Ron

Ron if I hear of another one for sale I will be happy to let you know but these are tough to find. Helmut Weitze has one for sale, with wrong cockades.
And now I must find am M15 feldgrau lion to fit on the top. Won't be easy either.

As usual, top stuff from Bruno. That really is a beauty - congratulations! And did they really have a grey lion fitted for parade? I guess it's logical - why not?

Buy what if there is no m15 field gray lion..... ????? What if it never existed....but we think it might ..??

Mind blown. ...lol

Pontiac9999 said:
Buy what if there is no m15 field gray lion..... ????? What if it never existed....but we think it might ..??

Mind blown. ...lol

I was kidding, regarding the fieldgray parade lion... I assume such a thing never existed. Should be fun to get rebutted though...
A more valid question would be: would they ever wear the regular silver lion on their M15 helmets?

Back