Another Made in UK Fraudulent Helmet on eBay by seller "dingo589"

ww1czechlegion

Here's another fraudulent made in UK helmet being offered by eBay seller "dingo589". This seller has sold a couple of these type of fake made in the UK helmets in the past year on eBay USA, unfortunately.

Here's the link to the auction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/334811377342?hash=item4df4502ebe:g:Vt8AAOSwEMhkJImU

The seller has it listed as a "Hessian" helmet, and priced at $1,250.00 or "best offer".

Since the link will disappear in 90 days of the end of the auction, I'll also post photos of the helmet here for reference, taken directly from the auction page on eBay.

Helmet is a typical UK made piece of garbage where the maker has the wrong side of the leather facing the outside of helmet, thus the loss of blackened finish on the outside of the helmet, because the finish doesn't stick well to a smooth piece of leather. There are other typical tell-tale signs which show this helmet was made by someone in the UK back in the 1980's or possibly as late as the 1990's. Unfortunately they often times will sell on eBay for big money, similar to what an original helmet will sell for, purchased by unsuspecting buyers.

a fake baden helmet on eBay by dingo589.jpg

a fake baden helmet on eBay from dingo589.jpg

a fake baden helmet on eBay by dingo589 3.jpg

a fake baden helmet on eBay by member dingo589 4.jpg

a fake baden helmet on eBay by dingo589 5.jpg

a fale baden helmet on eBay by dingo589 6.jpg

a fale baden helmet on eBay by dingo589 7.jpg

a fake baden helmet on eBay by dingo589 8.jpg

a fake baden helmet on eBay by dingo589 9.jpg

a fake baden helmet on eBay by dingo589 10.jpg

The U.S. military dealer "Epic Artifacts" has also sold one of these fake Baden helmets that was made in the UK, and another fake helmet made in the UK with a different front plate on it, all within the last 6-8 months on eBay USA. People are buying these "p.o.s." helmets thinking they are real. It probably destroys their interest in continuing in the hobby once they discover they purchased a "p.o.s." fake helmet...

Alan, thanks for the time spent on identifying these POS. Sadly, people still buy them cos these people don't want to read books. They want the short way out and want people mainly not so expert dealer and sellers to build up their collection. Honestly, I don't have any sympathy for such buyers. The first thing in our hobby is reading books and read posts on this forum.

For a somewhat experienced collector these helmets are easily recognisable as fakes, however for someone new to this it can be hard to distinguish between manufacturing variations and reproductions / fakes when the item on offer is different from what is shown in this forum. I've always been very grateful to the person that gave me my first Pickelhaube, an older helmet cut down and re-issued as an M15, which allowed me to study it inside and out, and made recognizing repros / fakes much easier.
I think it will only get worse, nowadays equipment is made for reenactors that is hardly distinguishable from the originals, and after use will look like a worn original.

Back