Another passing of a long time Collector friend

KAGGR#1

For those who might have known George Gaddt of Sewickley , Penna .
a short email from Bob Palko in Fla. .I knew George ever since about 1970 .
He was a serious Garde du Corp collector and a great professional artist
Goodbye to George .
Steve
If you weren't notified,George Gaadt died of a massive heart attack yesterday.He was one of the GIANTS of the collecting world. Bob

My condolecenses Steve..I never knew George, unfortunately.I guess I came to this forum to late, or just being too young.
Just like Karel, some of us are leaving us, while I never had the chance of exchanging messages with them.
I hope he will live on in memory.

Regards, Coert.

I never had the privilege of meeting George as I did not have any American collector friends until this forum was created. It is always sad when one of our collector community passes. It also reminds us that we are only curators of these valuable pieces of History, we look after them and enjoy them during our lives. Hopefully, they are passed on to others that also care. RIP George Gaddt.

That's very sad to learn.

Yes, he was one of the Giants of the Imperial German collecting world. Fabulous GdC collection, probably the best in the world. A real gentleman, super nice guy. And a world class artist as well.

Like with Chip's passing, they both leave a HUGE void in the collecting community with their vast knowledge, expertise, and willingness to share and help out with that knowledge.

What a sad news! I knew Georges and used to visit him in his nice house in Sewickley, near Pittsburgh, as Steve mentioned. His collection of Garde du Corps items was exceptional - at a time the best one in the world, as some said - and interestingly he was entirely focused on GdC. I cannot remember seeing anything else in his collection.
A huge loss for sure.

Thanks to all
George was never a member of our site
but was well know in in USA collecting circles as Bruno said
And yes I was in his house a few times
the times that I went to thr Max show
I always flew into Pittsburg and George would pick me up at the airport
I would stay at his house and then we would go to the Max show
George also had an interest in WWI Marine corp
His art work was world class
he was also a proffessional photographer for the Pittsburg Steelers
and did art work for the Steelers
Years ago he did art work for one of our Super Bowls
Steve

I am very shocked to hear the terrible news about George. I spoke to him twice in the last two weeks, the last being this past Friday April 1st. I was very fortunate to have known him for the past 40 years, meeting him in 1982. Always enjoyed the many times climbing the stairs to see his unbelievable collection. Through him i was able to meet Emil and Dr. Davis, two other very special collectors who are now gone. RIP George it was a privilege to call you my friend. Alan G.

My condolences. I have never known George but it's never nice to know that someone has passed on though we will all do one of these days.

For our members who might not have know George
or ever got to see his G d C collection ; George and I George Gaadt 1987.jpegG Gaadt collection.jpeg
exchanged Christmas Cards each year . These photos
were included with his Christmas card in 1987 .
I also will add that his daughter Elizabeth was a
world class soccer player
Her team won the USA National High School championship.
Steve

Information on the art work of George Gaadt
Please join us for the in celebrating Sewickley illustrator George Gaadt's long career, he truly is a legend of the illustration field
The Illustrated Life of George Gaadt
Opening Reception:
Thursday, September 6th, 5:00pm - 9:00pm
The Illustrated Life of George Gaadt is the first survey exhibition devoted to the work of the noted American illustrator. A member of the New York Society of Illustrators and Pittsburgh Society of Illustrators, Mr. Gaadt began his career in Kansas City with Hallmark Cards. Over the years he produced work for National Geographic Society, Alcoa, IBM, Reader’s Digest, National Football League, Major League Baseball, NCAA, ABC, NBC, PBS, PPG Industries, WQED Pittsburgh, Lionel Toys, Eat n’Park and many more.

An American Artist, Illustrator and Portraiture painter born in Erie, Pennsylvania. George attended The Columbus College of Art and Design in Columbus, Ohio. He recently received an Honorary Masters of Visual Arts Degree and Alumni of the Year Award from that same institution as a reward for a career that has brought his reputation as an artist and graphic innovator to the highest levels of the field. After a career that began in Kansas City, Missouri at Hallmark Cards and included for the next decade working in several advertising art studios, George decided to set in motion the forming of the George Gaadt Studio, a free-lance venture that is still valid today. A life-long passion for sports led him to a 25 year career with the National Football League as an Illustrator and Eastern Regional photographer. His clients also included the Major League Baseball, Basketball and Football Halls of Fame. Several of his major projects were paintings for the Pittsburgh Steelers 50th Anniversary and in 2007 creating the painting for their 75th Anniversary poster. Beyond George’s interest in sports, military history has played a major role in his career. As a young boy to present day, drawing, painting and collecting history have been a primary inspiration. These activities culminated recently in a series of paintings for the US Army in Europe and Korea. One of the many highlights of his career was having his painting “Last Stand at Fort Ligonier” featured in “200 Years of American Illustration”. This significant exhibition was sponsored by the New York Society of Illustrators and exhibited at the New York Historical Society Museum to celebrate in conjunction with our country’s 200 years of greatness. George has received over 95 awards and appeared in numerous New York Society of Illustrators Exhibition and annuals as a member artist. He has lectured widely and is a former instructor at Carnegie-Mellon University and Sweetwater Center for the Arts, Sewickley, PA. In addition to teaching and lecturing he has served on the boards of Sewickley Valley Historical Society, Sweetwater Center for the Arts and Daniel B. Matthews Historical Society, Sewickley, PA. His professional memberships include The Portrait Society of America, The New York Society of Illustrators and Pittsburgh Society of Illustrators. Gaadt’s extensive and prolific body of work has been recognized and exhibited both nationally and internationally in England, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and China.

When I had the Garde du Corps kettle drum cover in my collection
George asked me to take a photo of each panel and send to him .
George was going to do a limited edition print of the drum cover .
When completed George Kept print # 1
I got print # 2
He later followed it up with the G d C kettle drummer on horseback
SteveGeorge Gaadt print 1.JPGGeorge Gaadt print 2.JPG

Yes, George shared his large photo album with me at the SOS or MAX Show years ago. I wish that I could have seen his collection in person, as you and Bruno did.

I remember seeing that large print he had made of the kettle drum banner. I recall he had a copy of it at one of the shows.

Last edited:
Back