Another Uhlan

poniatowski

Don't know if it's any good. Looks like the Garde star isn't original to the helmet (??), but that could be replaced / upgraded.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW1-German-Prussian-Uhlan-Tsapska-Parade-Brush-With-Tunic-/132009093975?hash=item1ebc5aeb57:g:p8sAAOSw44BYKDGr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D Ron

James ;
I thought so also .

All stars that are 3 -D do not have enamel
There were all kinds of custom helmets
with different stars .
I have a K U R 13 outfit that I bought years also
in St. Louis at one of the first Max Shows
from Ray Zyla of Mohawk Arms .
When I have the time I will post photos .

I also have a custom Garde H R
private purchase , bear fur
officer quality with a non-enameled
gilt 3 - D Garde star
will also post it later

Steve

That is a custom purchase tschapka for an NCO. The kokarden are NCO as is the black and white frangschnur tassels etc. Very nice. The slightly bulbous garde star with no enamel usually indicates private purchase for a non officer. The issued garde wappen always have the flat stars. The tunic also matches the helme as it has the NCO collar rank buttons. That piece certainly beats the hell out of that JR 88 officer which was reviewed here and sold today.

Great photos Bruno .
I have one much like it except my helmet
front plate does have an officer's type Garde star .
I will try and post photos today .
Thanks for the post .
Steve

Bruno ;
Were you able to go and see the K U R 13 helmet ?
I M O $ 1,756.00 was a very good buy for that outfit
I think the helmet is worth more than that.
That may be less that I paid for my K U R 13
outfit many years ago .

Steve

b.loree said:
The tunic also matches the helme as it has the NCO collar rank buttons.

Did it? At what grade did the German army allow the trappings of a NCO to be worn? The single button and no lace means it is one of the Gefreiter grades, which as I understand it, are senior privates. Once, I owned an Obergefreiter tunic and NCO Tschapka
for UR 11. I was never sure if they really belonged together.

I just located my notes from the 1985 purchase
of my K U R 13 set .
My man was also in the 4.Eskadron
photos to follow
Steve

aicusv said:
b.loree said:
The tunic also matches the helme as it has the NCO collar rank buttons.

Did it? At what grade did the German army allow the trappings of a NCO to be worn? The single button and no lace means it is one of the Gefreiter grades, which as I understand it, are senior privates. Once, I owned an Obergefreiter tunic and NCO Tschapka
for UR 11. I was never sure if they really belonged together.

No it does not match. The man had to be a Sargent and above. And the seller does not allow returns. What happens when the buyer takes off that helmet plate and its cast from lead? Not such a good buy now is it.

Here is my 1985 purchase
This is the way we had to do it back then
No EBay
No email
dealer sends out a catalog and I
write or call him
I saw the outfit at the Max Show that year
in person and bought it on the spot

photos to follow next
Steve

Here is the K U R 13 outfit purchased in 1985
The only thing for me is that the chin straps ride a little too high .

Motor board can be removed . Do any members know what year the metal
removable top were first used ?
front plate has an officers quality star .

I don't know sword knot ( portopee ) color combinations but I was told that it for the 4. Eskadron
and the buttons on the tunic that secure the epaulettes are 4. E.
The soldiers name was Gralle

Steve

KAGGR#1 said:
// Motor board can be removed . Do any members know what year the metal removable top were first used ? //

Yep. That removable top makes it a 21 September 1915 M15 Friedens-Uniform Tschapka. Same time as the M15 in grey oxidized steel fittings came out. AND it came within a hair of being here in Canada for the last 30+ years. I received Ray Zyla's 1985 catalogue (still have it) and tried to think of any way I could raise the money to buy that set, and just could not. Newly promoted Sergeant, not a lot of cash, and $1950 USD was a lot of money. I just about fell over Steve when I saw it at your home. I recognized it immediately. Fantastic grouping. Regimental marked M89 Degen if I recall?

Tony ;
Thanks
I have not looked at the sword in years
I will get it out and take a look
Steve

KAGGR#1 said:
Bruno ;
Were you able to go and see the K U R 13 helmet ?
I M O $ 1,756.00 was a very good buy for that outfit
I think the helmet is worth more than that.
That may be less that I paid for my K U R 13
outfit many years ago .

Steve

No, Steve. The seller was leaving town and said he would not be back before the end of the auction. Too bad, he is just a few miles away.
You are right, this was indeed a very good price!
Bruno

So the "future peacetime" helmet of an enlisted man could have a star with enamel?
What about the cockade and the field badge?

Back