Another Württemburger!

Gents,

Let's stay with the Württemburgers, here is my latest: an officer from one of the regiments 120 - 122, 124 - 127, or 180. It has a gild wappen, and gild chinsales, spike and spikebase. (The officers of the regiments 119 and 123 wore silver parts, except for the chinsales and the screws of the base).

The helmet M 1871 has the same shape and fittings as the helmet of the prussian dragoners regiments. This wappen of this example has no screws attached , but split brads. Of course one of them broke off on trying to bend them..

I have never seen an officer's helmet with these split brads, but according to the aged solder they are genuine. According to Brian this type of attachment is not unusual, so I leave it as it is, and I've soldered the loose brad back in place. The helmet came with a strong dark brown patina, especially on the spike and its base. After some careful cleaning with ammonia, water, and Hagerty, I'm pleased with the result: not to shiny, but it's overall appearance has been very much improved (it's an officer's helmet after all!).

To the backside of the crown an additional strip has been soldered to strenghten the crown. The solder has been applied very professionally. It has the same colour as the rest of the soldered parts, and is very old.

The leather liner and silk show a lot of wear, I like it that way!

What do you think of it?

Best regards,

Marcel

Very nice! I have a similar helmet and have always liked it. Also, I've a Bavarian E.M. that has a similar repair to the plate, so this might be somewhat common in some cases. (?)

:D Ron

Wurttemburgers are nice, but I prefer Hamburgers myself!!! :lol:

(just a little "trench-humor", y'all!!) :thumb up:
Rob.

Very nice Marcel, congratulations. You were lucky that the whole prong simply popped out of the solder instead of one of the arms breaking. The Wurtt helme that I referenced from my collection that has the same split prong wappen attachment is a private purchase OR helme from JR119 with white trichter. I will post some pics shortly. Does anyone on the forum have a government issue helme with split prongs?? I doubt that such a beast exists.

Back