Any pipe smokers out there - so not you Amy!

seagull

I happily smoked Sobranie Reserve Blend (the blue tin) for many years until they sold out and finally disappeared over twenty years ago and been looking for a clone/substitute ever since. I know it's bad for you but at my advanced age I think I am entitled to just one vice! I know I'll never find a hidden hoard of original stock but keep hoping somebody out there will produce the same blend. Dammit, I'll even be happy to pay the exorbitant UK tax on it if I can get it!
ever hopeful, Steve

Hi Steve,
A lifetime ago I used to smoke a pipe occasionally when I was a student, my favorite being the Balkan Sobranie Original blend (black & white pouch), but I don't think that is similar to your Sobranie Reserve Blend?
Regards,
Lars

Hi Lars,
Like you I did sometimes make an excursion into the Balkan version but it was pretty unpopular with those around me! I believe the Balkan is still on sale in Europe despite being banned in the UK but, apart from containing Black Latakia in the blend, it is nothing like my old favourite. I lucked out with the, much less 'offensive', Blue tin Reserve Blend and stuck with it for decades - even got some nice reactions from perfect strangers who said it smelled really nice. With populist government "Bans" on this and other brands and the shrinking number of tobacco shops (only one shop within fifty miles of my location now) I have only seen one other person smoking a pipe in the last four or five years. If I am feeling like a dinosaur these days it seems its mainly because, at my age, I AM one.
Cheers, Steve

This smoking tobacco is one of the limited range that was created for the exclusive use of our Board of Directors their personal guests. Each blend is made is made from only the finest and costliest of Virginia tobaccos, specially prepared and blended to ensure the mildness and satisfaction that only the very best can provide.

50grms. Net Weight Pipe Tobacco
Sobranie Ltd. London England

Last edited:
Thanks for the pointer Wojtek, in the past Estervals has had a few tins of "old stock" for sale (at high prices) but he is not advertising any for sale just now. I am not expecting to find any "secret stashes" with a dealer but had hoped that somebody, somewhere,might have tried to re-create it under a different brand name? I understand there are a lot of talented tobacco blenders in the USA, anyone know if one of them has reproduced the secret recipe? If so you could make an old guy very happy!

Thank you JJ, I appreciate any help I can get. Seems trivial I know but people keep telling me that 'you can get anything on line' except, it seems, what I am looking for. See? - Dinosaur!!
Thanks again
Steve

Back