Are these guys German?

Peter_Suciu

See the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/German-WWI-Schutzruppe-Africa-Tropical-Helmet-Photo_W0QQitemZ110160378848QQihZ001QQcategoryZ13965QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I wondered the same when I saw this one Peter. Their hodgepodge of weapons appear to mostly be German, I see Gew 98's, Kar 88, Kar 71(?). Bayonets look German too.

I don't know much about the Schutztruppen, these guys don't look right, some kind of militia maybe? Boers? The fellow at the far right with the bino's, his belt buckle looks smooth.

Geo

The helmet plates don't look German. The French didn't use the M15 Adrian plate on the helmets. Maybe Italian? Maybe Belgian?

I'm just not sure either. But I think I've ruled out German.

Well couldnt it bee Vorbecks troops as they were cut off and fighting away from teh main German colonies in Africa, they could be using whatever they picked up in ambushes and raids as the uniforms, weapons, and headgear are all mixed, i think i even spy a pre wosley foreign service helmet.

Best Regards

Michael Muth

I would have to agree whole heartedly with your logic:

With his forces running low on supplies - both ammunition and food - Lettow-Vorbeck was forced to live off the land, although a successful raid upon a Portuguese arms dump near the Mozambique border largely resolved his arms shortage.

Could their headgear possibly be Portuguese?

The Portuguese 1904 Mauser-Verguiro looks similiar to a Gew 98, and what looks like a Kar 71 could be a 1886 Kropatschek Carbine, it's possible, nicht war?

Geo

Chris Dale wrote this response on axis history -- surprise me -- Chris is the man.

Hi Joe,
The photo is indeed of German troops from a Schützenkompagnie formed from reservists. Their uniforms and helmets are a little irregular due to supplies being short in East Africa. To identify the troops as German notice one of them in the foreground has a band of the imperial coliurs on his shoulder strap. The badges on the front of the helmets are curious. It looks like an imperial cockade with something else above, maybe an imperial eagle?
The photo is by Walther Dobbertin and appears his book "Lettow-Vorbeck's Soldiers" by Battery Press.
Cheers
Chris

Back