Are these guys Jugendwehr?

joerookery

The Boy's Defense Corps? Robert the writing is over to you -- I have no idea what it says.
barelost0003.jpg

barelost0004.jpg

Joe,

I think the writing has nothing to do with the picture. Even though the scan is clear I could not decipher enought to understand a contiguous meaning, but it seems to be a literary text. It looks like a dialog between two speakers in a theater play There is not real start at the begin - the number 34 at the upper right might be a sequential number so somebody might have used a pack of cards to write or rehearse a play.

:dontknow:

That is a very interesting picture! The two men at the left appear to be military personnel and between the there seems to be an arrangement of real rifles. The boys are not really dressed to do hard labor and look to me like they come from good families.

I'm glad you explained the writing -- it was driving me insane -- thank you.

I know there was a boy's Defense league but I know very little about them. I do not think I have ever seen a picture and it would make sense that these guys are from good families -- poor families could not afford it. I just don't know if these are those guys or not.

George I wouldn't rule anything out. I don't think so. This picture was looked at before and if I remember there was something about which side of the hat was pinned up. Heck the picture could be reversed! Are these the same kind of guys? A hunting club?

shutz.jpg

shutz4.jpg

To me it does not look like a normal kokarde on the side of the hats in the first picture. Maybe some special insignia. Can grab that detail a bit larger?

Here is (was) a similar picture or at least with similar dresses:
http://cgi.ebay.de/orig-Fotokarte-kolonial-Jugend_W0QQitemZ260237035785QQihZ016QQcategoryZ8998QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I sometimes think ebay sellers add "colonial" to any number of photos to try to get a better price.

This doesn't look colonial at all to me, more like a hunting club as Joe said.

Cheers
Chris

And how about these guys? The armbands are reminiscent of early Landsturm but the age of most of these people... is there anything that can be learned from the weapons?

jung0001.jpg

is there anything that can be learned from the weapons?
At the turn of the century, percussion muzzleloaders were nearly worthless so they might have served as dummies for exercising. I personally dont think that they are in a unit that has official military character. But boy scout-like training with a military touch was probably widespread, particularly in the better families.

Hey Joe,
I have looked very hard at the scan of the second card (the boys with the weapons) and I still can not tell for sure whose finger prints are all over the card. I can not tel for sure, but the fellow standing in the center back looks like he is holding a Werndl rifle, if so, it is an Austrian obsolete rifle that was still used in small numbers during the war by home guard and rear guard troops, this would fit witht he Austrian and German coat of arms on the sign (as well as the flags) But I could be wrong, and it could just be a side hammer shot gun. I still can not make out the motto on the buckel of the fellow to his right.
Bes twihses
Gsu

Hey Joe,
I was looking through one of the books I stole from you at SOS, and there is a couple of photos of Pfadfinder wearing the same style hat.
Gus

Pfadfinder.jpg

Pfadfinder is not Colonial, it would be the same as Boy Scouts in Britian or the US
Gus

Back